Flood of 1997
A total of 6.5 inches of rain falls in Adams County in 24 hours beginning Friday night. The Ohio River's tributaries and creeks jump their banks Saturday morning.
The storms are part of a system that also pounds Kentucky, West Virginia, Arkansas and Mississippi.
The body of Jason Hall, 16, of Blue Creek in Adams County, is discovered near the confluence of Blue Creek and Churn Creek.
He becomes the Tristate's first flood victim. Firefighters think he was swept away while driving.
Five other people are reported missing in Adams County.
In Ripley houseboats and pleasure boats tear loose in Red Oak Creek.
Fifteen people take refuge Saturday night in an emergency shelter at West Union High School in Adams County.
Enquirer.Com on March 2, 1997

'That old rain's gettin'
worser and worser'

The Cincinnati Enquirer

Red Oak Creek surged through Stringtown, Ohio, in Brown County, where 6.5 inches of rain fell in 24 hours.
(Craig Ruttle photo)
| ZOOM |
March slipped into town feeling a lot like spring. The heart of winter had passed without significant snowfall or too many deep freezes. There were early buds on the maple trees and a touch of green in the lawns.But the first day of March would not give in entirely. A relentless line of thunderstorms marched up the Ohio River Valley bringing heavy winds and driving rain.
In Cincinnati, the rain began falling around midnight Friday. It kept it up, on and off, throughout the day Saturday.
A storm that went from drizzle to downpour drenched the Serpentine Wall and pocked the surface of the river. The Ohio took the rain in stride. It slipped by downtown with the steady, familiar assurance of gravity and water.
But 50 miles upriver, in Adams County, a much heavier rain fell. The downpour began in darkness Friday and continued through dawn. And then into the morning. By the time Saturday night turned into Sunday morning, the county had been hit with 8-10 inches of rain.
The flood began that Saturday morning. Adams County creeks hopped their banks. Flash flooding forced home owners to their rooftops.
''The water was coming up so fast you couldn't go anywhere,'' said James McClary of Blue Creek. So he took his family to their roof. It was just 9 a.m. The rain kept coming.
Late Saturday night, Ed and Debra Hetterick left for home from a friend's house in Adams County. They drove for less than a mile before rising water blocked their path. Minutes later it cut them off from behind.
Kevin Tackett leans out the basement window after floodwaters from the Red Oak Creek ravaged his father's house in Springtown.
(Craig Ruttle photo)
| ZOOM |
They tried to drive back through the muddy, churning water to the safety of their friend's house. But their car stalled in the flooded street. They flashed their lights. A rescue crew came. A line was tossed, but the currents were too swift.
Water rose in the car. Debra and Ed got out. He told her to grab a nearby tree. He hugged the tree and his wife of 19 years. The water was cold, moving quickly and rising. Debra could not hold on. She slipped away and drowned.
In Falmouth, Ky., the rain would not let up.
At 7 p.m. 84-year-old Lucy Aulick looked out her front door. Two blocks away, the Licking River was rising in a torrent.
Lucy was worried. She had survived the 1964 flood, a flood she called ''terrible.'' She remembered how it rained then. The downpour she saw outside her front door triggered memories of 33 years ago.
''That old rain's gettin' worser and worser,'' she told herself. ''I better get out of here.''

Day 2, Sunday, March 2, 1997