Sunday, May 11, 1997
Flood-fighter finally able
to take that trip to the altar

The Cincinnati Enquirer

Julie Robinson Hart and Falmouth assistant Fire Chief Marty Hart walk down the aisle as Kentucky National Guard members form an honor guard.
(Patrick Reddy photo)

| ZOOM |

FALMOUTH - What God joined together at Saturday's standing-room-only wedding of Julie Robinson and Assistant Falmouth Fire Chief Marty Hart, no flood could put asunder.

They were to wed March 8, but the couple's plans were delayed by an uninvited guest - the rain-swollen Licking River that had swept over much of the city a week before.

The raging waters covered much of Falmouth with little warning, damaging relatives' homes, closing businesses (including the florist and tuxedo rental shops the couple had planned to use), and wiping away the pews of the Falmouth Christian Church, where the couple were to exchange their vows.

With Marty - also a Falmouth Police officer and member of the Kentucky National Guard - coordinating emergency operations in the city, and his fiancee trapped outside of Falmouth for four days with members of her bachelorette party, there was little the couple could do but delay their nuptials.

Saturday, however, was everything the original wedding date was not.

When Julie, 23, awoke to sunshine and clear skies, she knew it was a good omen.

"Finally, a sunny day," longtime friend Carole Green said through tears, as the Minneapolis, Minn., woman hugged the bride before the ceremony.

As Marty, 28, serenaded his bride with I Crossed My Heart - the first song the couple ever danced to - late arrivals Kristi and Kevin Becht and their year-old son, Joshua, of Batavia, peered past a television cameraman in the crowded church entryway to catch the ceremony.

"I'm just glad they finally got to get married," Mrs. Becht said.

The ceremony even included groomsman Parker Greene, who had headed north from College Station, Texas, last March bearing work clothes, instead of a tuxedo.

"I figured they were going to need help cleaning up, or they were going to get married on a raft," he quipped.

For the Harts, the something borrowed was the Falmouth Wesleyan Church, a substitute for the flood-damaged Falmouth Christian Church.

Blue was how Julie felt on the original wedding date when the flood forced her to spend the day shoveling mud out of her future brother-in-law's basement.

The something new was the New Richmond photographer who volunteered his services for free when the change in wedding date forced the original photographer to cancel.

As for something old, the bride's and groom's specially engraved champagne glasses still bore the original wedding date of March 8, 1997, the bride's mother, Barb Robinson, said.

"I said, 'Marty, you're just going to have to celebrate two anniversaries.' " COMMEMORATIVE SECTION