Monday, May 12, 1997
How to help


The Licking River destroyed 30,000 books and severly damaged the Pendleton County Public Library. You can donate books on the Web at

For information on other ways to donate to the library, call 654-8535 or write the Pendleton County Public Library, 228 Main St., Falmouth 41040.

The Falmouth Flood Relief Fund set up by county leaders is up to $65,000. The Falmouth Flood Disaster Relief Fund has been created to help businesses and residents rebuild. To donate, write to Falmouth Flood Relief Fund, P.O. Box 213, Falmouth, Ky. 41040.

Volunteers needed

  • St. Vincent de Paul needs people willing to work on weekdays. In Ohio, volunteers are needed to collect donated furniture from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on weekdays and people to sort clothing from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 421-0602 or 562-8841.

    In Kentucky, volunteers can help at the St. Vincent de Paul warehouse, 2687 Circle Port Road, across from The Gap Outlet in Erlanger. Volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

  • Seven Hills Neighborhood Houses Inc.-East End branch also needs people to help clean houses. Call 321-7520.

  • The Interfaith Commission of Northern Kentucky also is accepting volunteers. Call 581-2237.

    ''We can use almost anything,'' volunteer Mary McCormick said. ''People at the moment are cleaning and cooking and providing day care. We have a great need for construction workers and people who can haul and deliver items.''

  • The Kentucky Council of Churches, which works with Interfaith volunteers and provides disaster relief, also has a toll-free hot line: (888)-253-3027.

  • The Red Cross continues to accept volunteers and donations. Call (800)-HELP NOW.

    Earn money for cleanup

    The U.S. Department of Labor will pay certain people to assist in flood cleanup in Ohio and Kentucky.

    People temporarily unemployed because of the flood or those unemployed before the flood are eligible for the six-month program.

    Workers will be paid minimum wage or prevailing wages consistent with private industry.

    For more information, call the Job Training Partnership of Ohio at (614) 466-3817 or the Job Training Partnership of Kentucky at (502) 564-5360.

    To make donations

    The Mennonite Disaster Service (MSD) is cleaning and fixing up flood-damaged houses. To donate, call 553-7200.

    The St. Vincent de Paul Society is no longer accepting flood relief donations at its eight stores. Donations can be taken to the group's Queensgate warehouse at 1125 Bank St. 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays.

    The state of Ohio has set up a toll-free donations hot line for people offering services, goods and money. Call (888) 356-6364.

    In Union, take cleaning supplies and food to the Union EMS building. Call 334-2279.

    American Red Cross, Cincinnati Area Chapter, 720 Sycamore St., Cincinnati 45202.

    Neediest Kids of All Flood Relief Fund

    Salvation Army, Box 596, Cincinnati 45201. Please mark envelope ''Ohio Floods.''

    New Richmond Food Pantry, 1192 Bethel-New Richmond Road; New Richmond 45157.

    Little Caesars restaurants in 49 counties of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana will donate a portion of sales from March 23 to April 5 to flood victims.


    New Richmond Flood Relief Fund will accept supplies and contributions at branches of Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan: 4555 Montgomery Road, Norwood; 3316 Glenmore, Westwood; 11100 Reading Road, Sharonville; 4144 Hunt Road, Blue Ash; 5030 Delhi Pike, Delhi Township; 8045 Colerain Ave., Groesbeck; 8438 Vine St., Hartwell; 7136 Miami Ave., Madeira; 3777 Hamilton-Cleves Road, Ross; 11700 Princeton Road (Tri-County Mall), Springdale.

    Fifth Third banking centers will accept donations. The account number is 728-74698.

    Provident Bank has established a savings account. Donate at any branch or mail checks, payable to the American Red Cross, to Disaster Relief Fund, in care of Provident Bank, Box 140956, Cincinnati 45250-0956.

    KeyBank accepting donations at any branch. KeyBank also will offer special, low-rate home improvement loans with a 24-hour turnaround time.

    Star Bank has designated its locations in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana as drop-off points for food, clothing and non-perishable items.

    Food or other items


    Adams County, one of the hardest-hit areas of the Flood of '97, needs couches, chairs, pots, pans and dishes. Those donations can go to the Copeland Center, 41 South St. in West Union, at (513) 544-3897.

    Toys also can be donated at the Copeland Center. ''Kids losing toys is probably one of the worst traumas I've seen,''said Mary Jane Campbell, human services director. ''When you look at a 3- or 4-year-olds, that's their lives.''

    FreeStore/FoodBank is taking donations at Mayerson Food Distribution Center, 1250 Tennessee Ave., 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Monetary donations can be mailed to FreeStore/FoodBank, 40 E. McMicken, Cincinnati 45210.


    Northern Kentucky fire departments and city offices.


    Switzerland County Flood Relief Fund at Peoples Bank and Trust Co., 402 Ferry St. Vevay. (812) 427-3249.

    WKID-FM, 118 W. Main St., Vevay. (812) 427-9590.

    Patriot Baptist Church, Patriot. Call: (812) 594-2464 or (812) 594-2397.

    To offer housing

    Adams County needs help with housing. ''We're really at a 'What do we do?' stage,'' said Mary Jane Campbell, human services director. ''We've got more than 500 families displaced.''

    The county is looking for available campgrounds with hookups and people willing to rent motor homes. To help, call (937) 544-66123 or (937) 544-6944.