Sunday, March 16, 1997
Coping tips

Needed: Campers, toys

Adams County, one of the hardest-hit areas of the Flood of '97, needs help with housing.

''We're really at a 'What do we do?' stage,'' said Mary Jane Campbell, human services director. ''We've got more than 500 families displaced.''

The county is looking for available campgrounds with hookups and people willing to rent motor homes. To help, call (513) 544-6944 or (513) 544-6923.

The next plea is for couches, chairs, pots, pans and dishes, she said. Those donations can go to the Copeland Center, 41 South St. in West Union, at (513) 544-3897.

Toys also can be donated at the Copeland Center. ''Kids losing toys is probably one of the worst traumas I've seen,'' Mrs. Campbell said. ''When you look at a 3- or 4-year-olds, that's their lives.''

Getting federal aid

President Clinton has declared 93 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana disaster areas, and residents and business owners in those areas are eligible for emergency financial relief.

People in the Tristate who are unemployed because of flooding may also file for federal disaster unemployment benefits.

Coverage is available only to those who would not be covered by state jobless programs, officials said.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has hot lines that will coordinate flood assistance. Call (800) 462-9029 (to apply for aid) or (800) 525-0321 (for jobless benefits and other questions). TDD users should call (800) 462-7585.

Calls will be answered from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.

Flood victims can also go to FEMA recovery centers for assistance. Sunday hours are from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Ohio, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. in Kentucky and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. in Indiana.

Calling for help

Cincinnati's Public Works Customer Service Center hot line at 591-6000 will take non-emergency flood-related questions.

Disaster victims in Ohio and Indiana should call the Cincinnati chapter of the Red Cross: (800) 255-7070 or (513) 579-3000.

Disaster victims in Kentucky should call the Red Cross at (502) 561-3633 or (502) 561-3634.

The Ohio Department of Insurance has three toll-free hot lines to help flood victims with questions or complaints: consumer services, (800) 686-1526; fraud, (800) 686-1527; senior citizens, (800) 686-1578.

Victims in need of home improvement or repair contractors can call the Better Business Bureau, Call (513) 421-3015 or (800) 471-3015.

The Clermont County General Health District will help county residents who lost birth certificates in the flood. Call 732-7499 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or come to 2275 Bauer Road, Suite 300, Batavia.

Crisis counseling is available for Ohio residents affected by the flood. Call (614) 466-1703.

Donations in Pendleton County can be sent to: Falmouth Flood Disaster Relief Fund, (888) 392-0330, P.O. Box 213, Falmouth, Ky., 41040.

Donation site moved

The St. Vincent de Paul Society is no longer accepting flood relief donations at its eight stores. Donations can be taken to the group's Queensgate warehouse at 1125 Bank St.

Hours for collection today will be 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The warehouse also is open 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays.

The society is looking for able-bodied volunteers to help load and unload donated goods. Call 421-0602.