Monday, March 10, 1997
Who to call

Travel tips

Information about road conditions, including weather, accidents and delays, is available via the Internet and phone. Kentucky Road Report can be reached at (800) 459-7623. The World Wide Web site is

For information in Ohio, call the Ohio Department of Transportation's office in Lebanon (covering Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Greene, Hamilton, Preble and Warren counties) at (513) 932-3030, (513) 421-9320 or (800) 831-2142.

The World Wide Web site in Ohio is

For information on Cincinnati streets, call SmarTravler at 333-3333.

Calling for help

Cincinnati's Public Works Customer Service Center hot line at 591-6000 will take non-emergency flood-related questions.

Disaster victims in Ohio and Indiana should call the Cincinnati chapter of the American Red Cross: (800) 255-7070 or (513) 579-3000.

Disaster victims in Kentucky should call the Red Cross at (502) 561-3633 or (502) 561-3634.

Society of St. Vincent de Paul stores. In Ohio, call 421-0602. In Kentucky, call 341-3219.

The Ohio Department of Insurance has three toll-free hot lines to help flood victims with questions or complaints: consumer services, (800) 686-1526; fraud, (800) 686-1527; senior citizens, (800) 686-1578.

Ohio AgrAbility, an Ohio State University extension program, will assist flood victims with disabilities. In Ohio, call (800) 678-6346.

Victims in need of reputable home improvement or repair contractors can call the Better Business Bureau for a reliability report on the company at (513) 421-3015, or (800) 471-3015.

The state of Ohio will compile a list of all licensed and bonded contractors. The list will be given to the local Emergency Management Centers. To report contract fraud, call the Ohio attorney general's consumer protection section, (800) 282-0515 (24 hours) or (614) 466-4986.

Rounding up volunteers

Cincinnati officials are looking for electricians to do volunteer inspections of homes, buildings and businesses damaged by the flood. Call the city's Buildings and Inspections Department: 352-3262.

Ohio Gov. George Voinovich is encouraging licensed and bonded contractors statewide to volunteer with rebuilding in Southwestern Ohio. For a referral to areas where the need is great, call the state Department of Administrative Services, (614) 466-5778, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Kentucky Disaster and Emergency Services has a toll-free hot line to help major agencies field calls from donors. To make a cash contribution or to volunteer a service, call (888) GIVE2KY (888-448-3259) beginning today. Calls accepted 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Material donations cannot be accepted.

Fixing utility problems

Cincinnati Water Works. Call 591-7700 for information and questions about safety of drinking water.

Northern Kentucky Water Service District. Call 291-5666.

Boone County Water District. Call 586-6155.

Cincinnati Gas & Electric Co. (ULH&P in Northern Kentucky). Call 651-4182 or (800) 262-3000. There were about 2,000 electric and 2,500 gas customers without service in the flooding area.

Cincinnati Bell: Customers needing help during business hours should call: 611 for residential repair; 566-1611 for business repair; 565-6090 for 24-hour assistance.

Cinergy customer service: 651-0444 or (800) 262-3000, Ext. 3866.

Reaching health experts

Northern Kentucky Independent District Health Department, 610 Medical Village Drive, Edgewood. Call (606) 341-4264.

Cincinnati Health Department, 3101 Burnet Ave. Call 357-7200.

Ohio Department of Health hot line, (888) 411-4142 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. for health-related information.

Getting federal help

Live in any of the 73 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana that are federally declared disaster areas and have suffered losses because of the flood? Call the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) hot line: (800) 462-9029.

TDD users should call (800) 462-7585.

Calls will be answered from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.

Additionally, Congressman Rob Portman's mobile office will be in affected counties, including Brown and Adams, beginning today to help residents apply for federal aid. Call (800) 784-6366 or (513) 791-0381 for locations. His Kenwood office at 8044 Montgomery Road is also the drop-off point for canned goods.

Emotional crisis centers

Organizations that provide counseling, crisis information or mental health related services:

Hamilton County Mental Health Board. Call 621-3045.

Clermont County Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Services Board. Call 732-5400.

Brown County Counseling Center. Call (800) 233-HELP.

Adams/Lawrence/Scioto counties: Shawnee Mental Health Center and the River Valley Health Center. Call (800) 448-2273.

Disaster Mental Health Services of the American Red Cross. Call (800) 517-2828 between 8 a.m. and 11:30 p.m.