Friday, March 7, 1997
Travel tips

Information about road conditions, including weather, accidents and delays, is available via the Internet and phone. Kentucky Road Report can be reached at (800) 459-7623. The World Wide Web site is

For information in Ohio, contact the Ohio Department of Transportation's District 8 in Lebanon (covering Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Greene, Hamilton, Preble and Warren counties) at (513) 932-3030, (513) 421-9320 or (800) 831-2142.

The World Wide Web site in Ohio is

For information on Cincinnati streets, call SmarTravler at 333-3333.

Calling for help

Cincinnati's Public Works Customer Service Center hot line at 591-6000 will take non-emergency flood-related questions.

Disaster victims in Ohio and Indiana should contact the Cincinnati chapter of the Red Cross: (800) 225-7070 or (513) 579-3000.

Disaster victims in Kentucky should call the Red Cross at (502) 561-3633 or (502) 561-3634.

Society of St. Vincent de Paul stores. In Ohio, call 421-0602. In Kentucky, call 341-3219.

Rounding up volunteers

Cincinnati officials are looking for electricians to volunteer to help with inspections of homes, buildings and businesses damaged by the flood. Call the city's Buildings and Inspections Department: 352-3262.

Fixing utility problems

Cincinnati Water Works. Call: 591-7700.

Northern Kentucky Water Service District. Call: 291-5666.

Boone County Water District. Call: 586-6155.

Cincinnati Gas & Electric (ULH&P in Northern Kentucky). Call: 651-4182 or (800) 262-3000. There were about 2,000 electric and 2,500 gas customers without service in the flooding area.

Cincinnati Bell: Customers needing help during business hours should call: 611 for residential repair; 566-1611 for business repair; 565-6090 for 24-hour assistance.

Reaching health experts

Northern Kentucky Independent District Health Department, 610 Medical Village Drive, Edgewood. Call: (606) 341-4264.

Cincinnati Health Department, 3101 Burnet Ave. Call: 357-7200.

Getting federal help

Live in any of the 53 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana that are federally declared disaster areas and you have suffered losses because of the flood? Call the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) hot line: (800) 462-9029.

TDD users should call (800) 462-7585.

Calls will be answered from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.

Emotional crisis centers

Organizations that provide counseling, crisis information or mental health related services:

Hamilton County Mental Health Board. Call: 621-3045.

Clermont County Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Services Board. Call: 732-5400.

Brown County: Brown County Counseling Center. Call: (800) 233-HELP.

Adams/Lawrence/Scioto counties: Shawnee Mental Health Center and the River Valley Health Center. Call: (800) 448-2273.

How to deal with a flood emergency

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a section on ''Help After a Disaster'' that offers information about applying for federal assistance, finding food, clean water, housing and counseling after a flood. Telephone: (800) 462-9029.

The Iowa State University Extension Service has an online primer on cleaning up after a flood, including deciding what food to use or discard, how to dry and sanitize household goods, what to do with electric appliances and how to safely return to a flood-damaged house.

American Red Cross Contains information about ARC activities and disaster relief efforts in central states. Also an online booklet ''Repairing Your Flooded Home'' (, prepared by FEMA, can be found here.

Disaster Relief A combo site of Red Cross and CNN, this site provides news (from CNN) and a get help/give help section that allows you to search for a local Red Cross chapter. Also a library of general disaster coping information.

Other sites offering cleanup tips for flooded homes:

Do-It-Yourself.Com: Cleaning home furnishings

Ohio Emergency Management Agency division/ema/flooding.htm) Has a small page for ''information on Southern Ohio Flooding'' that contains official situation reports and press releases.