Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Tristate A.M. Report

Scribble Jam fans leave mark on city

Compiled from staff and wire reports

Scribble Jam drew thousands of hip-hop fans to Cincinnati over the weekend, but left the city tagged with more graffiti, police say.

Someone spray-painted the back of a police van early Sunday as it sat on Flora Street near the University of Cincinnati campus. Police estimated the damage at $500 and said many signs and buildings near the campus were tagged.

Four people - who were not identified by police - were arrested around the municipal garage in Camp Washington after officers found graffiti spray-painted there.

Scribble Jam organizers put up a special wall at Annie's bar in Columbia Tusculum for participants to spray graffiti.

Settlement talks continue for homeless

Settlement talks continue between the city of Cincinnati and lawyers representing a homeless man living under an interstate bridge.

Although a temporary restraining order that barred police from removing Donald Henry and others has expired, officials on both sides of the talks say it will continue to be honored while discussions continue.

Henry, 40, who lives under an interstate ramp along Third Street near the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, filed a complaint in U.S. District Court three weeks ago. In it, he asked that he be allowed to live under the bridge, saying he had nowhere else to go.

Judge won't lift label from juvenile

HAMILTON - A Butler County judge Monday refused to remove a "serious youthful offender" label from a 13-year-old accused of killing his infant brother, said Assistant Prosecutor Greg Stephens.

As a result of Juvenile Court Judge Ron Craft's decision, the teen will face a potential "blended sentence" of time in a juvenile facility plus an adult prison term that takes effect if he would commit another offense.

The teen's 13-month-old brother died after being struck so hard his heart burst, the Butler County Coroner's Office said. The teen had been left in charge of four younger children, ages 10, 3, and 2 years and 13 months, at the family's South Eighth Street apartment.

His 28-year-old mother also faces charges in Common Pleas Court. Authorities allege she is partly to blame for the child's death because she left the baby with the teen even though she knew he had a history of abusing the younger children.

The teen's trial has been rescheduled for Dec. 15.

City school board OKs $436M budget

Cincinnati Public Schools' Board of Education on Monday approved a $436.4 million budget for the 2003-04 school year.

The vote was 6-1. Board president Sally Warner voted against it.

Though the budget is $704,000 less than the current budget, Warner said the increases in administrative staff and other spending concerned her.

Child dies waiting for a new heart

A 22-month old Grant County girl awaiting a heart transplant died Monday morning.

Aubry Gribble, who was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, died at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, said her father's cousin, Stacey Hayes. She would have turned 2 on Sept. 20.

Aubry was the daughter of Robby Gribble and Julia Starnes, both 26, of Crittenden. The couple also has a 6-year-old daughter, Courtney. Aubry's death came just two days after friends and family held a fund-raiser for her family at a Burlington park.

Hayes, who organized the event, said the family raised $1,400 for Aubry on Saturday at England-Idlewild Park.

Aubry, who had open-heart surgery when she was just 4 days old, had been in the hospital for the last month after her condition worsened, her father said last week.

Aubry had been on life support awaiting a heart donor.

Funeral arrangements had not been completed Monday.

Murder suspect found at Fairfield motel

A tip led Cincinnati police Monday to a Fairfield motel, where officers found a murder suspect. Cincinnati detectives then quickly arrested a second man in the case.

Lorens Elan Harvey, 20, was arrested at the Capri Motel on Dixie Highway.

He had been wanted since July 24 for the May 18 killing of Major Wright, who was found shot to death in his Westwood home. Court documents say a .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol was used. Harvey was pictured last week in the Enquirer's Crime Stoppers feature.

Police also arrested Willard T. Johnson, 20.

Pulfer: State fairs the real deal for all-American culture
Howard: Some good news

Lawsuit: More abuse at Elder
Archive of Enquirer stories about misconduct by area priests
Archdiocese volunteers must pass criminal history check
Designs for 2 schools approved
Guide to Tristate schools (PDFs): Public | Private
Airport security tightens
Fairfield retail project near OK
Suspect in fatal fire free
Judge gives Flynt a break

That's some big buzz
Butler commissioners vote to support agency's suit
Library survey shows levy has tenuous support
John W. Meyer drove thousands on carriage rides
David Cochran was an executive for GE
Tristate A.M. Report

Former UK coach 'fires up' Dems
Chandler, Owen aim to create 100,000 jobs
$55M mall would oust 130 families
Child awaiting transplant dies
Language barrier caused 911 mix-up
Man in wheelchair files suit vs. Grant Co. jail