The Associated Press
Parents recognize that, in least in theory, quality time with children is time well spent, according to a survey conducted for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and the Pennsylvania-based nonprofit group KidsPeace.
In reality, though, finding even a few extra minutes a day to stop and take a collective family breath can be hard.
After analyzing survey responses from 1,000 parents or caregivers with children under 18 living at home, the Boys & Girls Clubs and KidsPeace developed a list of ways to make every second spent together a little more meaningful.
Each one takes less time than you complaining about how busy you are.
Here are 10 ways parents can celebrate their children:
1. Ask your children about themselves and their interests. Listen to their responses.
2. Read together.
3. Hug your children and tell them you love them.
4. Surprise them!
5. Delight in their discoveries.
6. Be excited when you see them.
7. Ask your child to help you.
8. Appreciate your child's individuality.
9. Introduce your child to new experiences.
10. Expect their best; don't expect perfection.
On the Net
Boys & Girls Clubs of America: http://www.bgca.org
WLWT to dump Springer in '04
The Insatiable Shopper: On the road in Clifton
Concert review: Harry Connick
Lights, camera, fashion
WIZ hopes bus brings fans onboard
Make a top 10 list just for kids
On the fridge
Get to it