Saturday, July 19, 2003

Lawmakers OK compromise on student-tally proposal



By Andrew Welsh-Huggins
The Associated Press

COLUMBUS - Lawmakers arguing over how to count schoolchildren have settled their differences and are hoping the federal government agrees the compromise is enough to preserve $400 million in U.S. Department of Education aid.

A joint legislative committee on Friday scrapped a plan to count children twice a year, in October and March.

The twice-a-year proposal had been tucked into an unrelated education bill last month bringing Ohio regulations in line with the federal 2002 No Child Left Behind Act. The committee on Friday unanimously approved the bill without the change.

The disagreement over how many times a year schools should send enrollment counts to the state - a process that affects school funding - stalled the bill, which the federal government wanted passed by the start of the next school year.

The delay is threatening $403 million in federal funds tied to the state's ability to comply with the federal law by the beginning of the school year. The state received about $100 million in July and normally gets the rest in the fall, said J.C. Benton, Ohio Department of Education spokesman.

Mindful of the lost revenue, committee members agreed to eliminate the October-March proposal and refer it instead to Gov. Bob Taft's school funding commission. The commission is expected to begin work later this year on ways to change how Ohio funds schools.

"We came to the conclusion it deserves more time and focus before any changes are made in student population counts," said Sen. Randy Gardner, a Bowling Green Republican.

Robert Gardner said he has asked the federal Education Department to consider releasing the money based on Friday's approval of the bill by the joint committee. Otherwise, the full House and Senate would have to conduct an emergency session before they return in September.

Federal education official Ronald Tomalis rejected that option in a letter to Gardner and Rep. John Schlichter on Wednesday.

If lawmakers waited until September, the government would still consider the state out of compliance and would withhold the money, Tomalis said.

Gardner said Friday he remains hopeful that federal officials would reconsider.

Meanwhile, without a new Ohio law, the state Department of Education cannot issue the annual report cards on the performance of 4,000 public schools before school starts.

"We're in a holding pattern," said Mitchell Chester, a department assistant superintendent.




TOP STORIES
City offer $18M shy of Convergys' liking
Text of Convergys letter
Ohioan top choice to lead UC
Court gives under-bridge squatters temporary delay
Get out there and enjoy the weather

IN THE TRISTATE
Artist's creativity bursts forth
Voting machines to be replaced
Picture of the day: Salute to a Soldier
Tristate A.M. Report

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
Faith matters: Students turn beliefs into service

BUTLER, WARREN, CLERMONT
Who wears short shorts? Not Fairfield students
Fairfield group to get data on flood control
Mother's wish fulfilled: Both sons come home
Butler meth lab dismantled
Funds sought for new school
Pair charged in bank holdup
Art auction helps cancer patients

OBITUARIES
Rev. Craig Edwards was pastor of year

OHIO
Ohio, Calif. suing AOL Time Warner
Ex-mentor convicted in sex case
Lawmakers OK compromise on student-tally proposal
Teen charged in fireworks injury
Freed prisoner was wrongly convicted
Home-care nurses strike over hours, paperwork
Marathon sued over pipeline dispute
Hotel industry fights bed-tax increase
Flight festival has ups, downs
Ohio Moments

KENTUCKY
Cafes hope music drums up business
Ky. funding decision for farmers market delayed
Mexican consul wants ID accepted
Inmates plead guilty to assault
Ky. to put tobacco settlement into farms
Flood leaves girl awash in faith
Movie excites 'horse country'
Backstreet Boy aims to sell advice
Latter-day pioneers trek through state
Kentucky obituaries