Thursday, June 19, 2003

Boy enters plea denying murder of his brother, 1

Kids among 5 left alone, police say

By Janice Morse
The Cincinnati Enquirer

HAMILTON - Did a 13-year-old boy intend to harm his young half-brother or was he simply unable to cope with the responsibility of babysitting four younger siblings?

Those questions are at the heart of a case in which a teen is accused of murder and domestic violence in the death of a 13-month-old, said Brad Carmella, a court-appointed attorney for the teen.

Carmella on Wednesday entered a plea for his client in Butler County Juvenile Court denying the charge. The boy walked into the courtroom with his dark hair mussed and his brow furrowed. He sat silently during the hearing but spoke briefly to Carmella.

After the hearing, Carmella told reporters that "a situation arose" involving the toddler late Monday night, and his client "attempted to do what he could."

Carmella declined to elaborate, except to say that the children's mother had taken the cordless telephone away from the home with her, leaving the teen no means to contact emergency crews for help.

Carmella said he didn't know why she took the phone. The teen's mother fidgeted with a rosary as her husband draped an arm around her shoulders after the Wednesday hearing.

City police have said they were investigating allegations that the 28-year-old mother left her five children - ages 13, 10, 3, 2 and 13 months - alone for prolonged periods. Police said charges are possible, but they released no additional information Wednesday.

Judge Ron Craft ordered the teen returned to the Juvenile Detention Center awaiting a July 2 hearing.

The mother, who sat on a rear bench in the courtroom, said she couldn't attend that hearing because she was planning to take the deceased child to Florida for burial.

A tear trickled down her cheek during the hearing.

On Tuesday, she told TV reporters that her teenage son had at first claimed the toddler fell down some stairs. But court records say the teen admitted to police he struck the baby with a metal bed rail.

The records also show that investigators noted bruises and healed burns on the toddler's body when it was examined early Tuesday at Fort Hamilton Hospital.

Dr. Richard P. Burkhardt, the county coroner, said he was not ready to rule on a cause of death Wednesday.

But he did say that a mark on the child's back could have been caused by a blow from an object such as the bed rail police described. He declined to reveal more about the child's condition.


Taft moves to help Butler
Soaked farmers hope for dry-out, and soon
Flynts may face old charges
City cuts Kroger deal on parking
Patton issues pardons for four
Lights flashed as car stalled
Site of fatal crash had lights, no gates

Senate OKs concealed-carry bill
Ohio River cleanup day moved to July
Kings Island sued by family
Top police watchdog steps down
Boy, 14, gets 6 years for fatal shooting
Judge rescinds his child support order
Obituary: Dave Ashley was boxer, publisher
Photo of the Day: "I want him dead"

PULFER: Collector's items
HOWARD: Some good news

Man dies days after treatment
Wedding will look like 1803
Boy enters plea denying murder of his brother, 1
Ryland ordered to stop moving dirt in lead area
Schools OK $44.4M building plan
Mason rejects former Miami coach in light of pending charge
Center augurs well for Monroe's future
Meal program switches service

Voinovich to have heart pacemaker installed Friday
Ohioan makes mark behind scenes
High water starts retreat in sodden northwest Ohio
Ohio lawmakers closer to budget deal
3 more inmates in Ohio set to die
Witness testifies to Traficant 'bribe'
Voinovich pushes regulations to guard against invasive species
Bill targets violence, vandalism on the farm
Ohioan killed in Iraq laid to rest
Ohio Moments

Italian restaurant coming to Crestview
Politicos shown a good time in N.Ky.
Plane missing since weekend eludes searchers
Airport still alert to SARS danger
Patton pities rapist killer