Sunday, May 4, 2003

Sparking wire stalls firefighters

The Cincinnati Enquirer

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP - An electrical hazard kept township firefighters Saturday from aggressively tackling a single-family house fire in the 2300 block of Washington Avenue.

A sparking meter and power line delayed firefighting efforts.
(Glenn Hartong photo)
| ZOOM |
A neighbor reported the fire at 6:12 a.m.

When firefighters from Colerain and Springfield townships arrived, the family living in the home had safely escaped.

Flames were shooting from the front and side of the home, but firefighters used caution fighting the blaze because of a popping sound near where a power line entered the home, firefighter Jeff Obermeyer said.

Firefighters fought the fire from outside and used a minimum of water until Cinergy workers assured them that it was safe.

"We kind of let it go," Obermeyer said. "It was pretty much a total loss."

Damage is estimated to be about $75,000.

Firefighters could not say whether the electrical hazard had anything to do with sparking the fire and continued to investigate a possible cause.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Spotty testing obscures toll of lead poisoning
Beggar law has wide support
Fountain Square shooting alarming

PULFER: Leaving principal's office
BRONSON: Getting to the broken heart of murders
SMITH-AMOS: Real-estate 'investors' up to no good
CROWLEY: Kenton Co.'s GOP machine revs up

Freedom Center building challenges overcome
Historic estate being divided
Purple Heart long overdue
Sparking wire stalls firefighters

Photo of the Day: Miami graduation
Tristate A.M. Report
Good News: Nothing can beat experience
Keeping in Touch with Tristate Military
Obituary: Charles Heimsch, leading botanist
Obituary: John F. 'Jack' Hodge Jr., entrepreneur

Mental retardation bill tied to closing of 2 homes
Davis-Besse needs work, report says
Ohio Moments: National Guard kills Kent State protesters
Bicentennial Notebook: Butler County on display

State budget may be short $81.7M