Friday, April 18, 2003

2 Louisville bridges over Ohio to cost billions, take 13 years



By Joshua Hammann
The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE - Construction on two proposed bridges over the Ohio River could start in about four years and be completed by 2020, highway officials said Wednesday.

Transportation officials from Kentucky and Indiana have completed an environmental impact study on two new bridges connecting Louisville and southern Indiana that could cost as much as $2.5 billion.

The study is being given to various federal agencies, and a final construction decision from the Federal Highway Administration could come in August or September, said John Carr, Deputy State Highway Engineer for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.

Officials are confident the FHA will approve the plan.

"Bottom line, we needed both bridges," Carr said of a new downtown Louisville bridge and a second bridge in eastern Jefferson County. "We think it's time to get on with it."

The highway administration also said Wednesday that it will rebuild a tangled mass of interstate highways, known as Spaghetti Junction, near the city's downtown. That's where Interstates 64, 65 and 71 meet.

"The highway administration is saying, 'This is what we are going to build, and this is what we expect the cost to be,'" said Charles Ray-mer, manager of the Ohio River Bridges Project.

The project was initially thought to cost about $1.4 billion, but with inflation and additional costs for land acquisition, engineering and bridge design, the price tag was raised, Raymer said.

The federal government will cover 80 percent of the project's costs, with the remaining 20 percent paid by Kentucky and Indiana.




TOP STORIES
City plan divvies up arts funding
Skip the flowers; privacy policy keeps patient info under wraps
U.S. EPA tackles Liberty Twp. lead

TRISTATE REACTS TO WAR
Helping soldiers through song
Keeping In Touch
Walk embraces cross, justice
On the Web
Mennonites, students call for aid

IN THE TRISTATE
Violence solutions hashed out
Hustler sign along I-75 to face fine
Seton High graduate serves as head of Sisters of Charity
Deaf woman gets her day in court
Board rebukes AIDS evaluator
House donated to mother, 8 kids
Obituary: Librarian Bessie R. Stone
Ohio Moments
Tristate A.M. Report

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
AMOS: Slavery of crime
RADEL: Priest vows to preserve tradition
BRONSON: Missing cash
HOWARD: Some Good News

BUTLER, WARREN, CLERMONT
Tears, smiles recall Kyle
Police appeal for tips in inquiry of fire that killed five students
Teenager indicted in arson at hotel being built in Milford
Warren waits on transfer tax

KENTUCKY
Sodomy case raises questions
Growth attracts another Kroger
2 Louisville bridges over Ohio to cost billions, take 13 years
Hatfield-McCoy feud ends. And the winner is ...
Priest groups supporting archbishop
Fletcher tells court about ex-running mate
Ex-KSU president drops $15M suit against newspaper, UC prof
Patton thinks ethics panel should have delayed report
Covington downtown director resigns
Population stabilizing in Ky. coal regions
Guard unit: Like father, like son