By Liz Sidoti
The Associated Press
COLUMBUS - As word spread that the weekend house fire that killed five college students was arson, those who knew the victims searched for answers about how this could happen to good-natured people with bright futures.
They weren't troublemakers who invited attack, say friends, relatives and neighbors.
"What made them choose that house? Why was that house specifically targeted?" Jen Stevenson, 21, an Ohio State senior from Springfield, asked as she sat on a porch across from the charred remains of the three-story yellow brick rooming house. "I think everyone's wondering that."
Authorities said on Tuesday that someone set fire to the house shortly after a 21st birthday party broke up early Sunday. They had not determined a motive and had no suspects, but they said they were investigating the deaths of the five - including the man who had turned 21 - as homicides.
A $15,000 reward was offered for information leading to an arrest.
Investigators wouldn't comment on what evidence had been gathered but said the state fire marshal's office was analyzing it. They also would not say whether an accelerant had been used.
"We have to rule out all accidental and natural causes, and that's what we've done," fire Capt. Steve Saltsman said. "Clearly, this was an arson fire."
Authorities say it appears the five died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning. Franklin County Coroner Brad Lewis said a final ruling would be made when results of toxicology tests are available in two weeks.
The fire broke out early Sunday in a popular student-rental neighborhood on a tree-lined street one block east of Ohio State University.
Two of the 12 Ohio State students who lived in the house, Alan Schlessman, 21, of Perkins Township near Sandusky, and Kyle Raulin, 20, of West Chester Township, died. The other victims were students visiting from Ohio University: Andrea K. Dennis, 20, of Madeira; Erin M. DeMarco, 19, of Canton; and Christine Wilson, 19, of the Columbus suburb of Dublin.
Firefighters saved three students from second-floor bedrooms before smoke and fire blocked the hallway. One student remained in critical condition on Wednesday, and another who had been treated and released returned to the hospital Monday and was in poor condition.
The residence, a licensed rooming house, passed its annual city inspection last April and was due for another inspection next month, records show. Investigators said it had working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
Police Detective Mike McCann said authorities did not believe that an argument during the party had much to do with the fire.
Witnesses reported there was a shouting match between two men, including one who lived at the house, but that no punches were thrown.
Boone, Warren driving growth
Youth served on City Council
Cole makes sure votes counted
N.Ky. schools bracing for tests
TRISTATE REACTS TO WAR
USS Nimitz, it's Skyline time
Marine from Ohio buried
Decks of cards have history
Ky. counties honor military
Keeping in touch
IN THE TRISTATE
Deadly night in Cincinnati: Three more homicide victims
Police, mayor angry suspect wasn't in jail
Obituary: LaVelle Bond championed diversity and excellence
UC search committee to review 37 names
School employee leaves with $120,000-plus severance
Water official admits lying
Soul artist Green plans a 'return' to Blue Ash
Tristate A.M. Report
PULFER: Danielle Cahill
HOWARD: Some Good News
BUTLER, WARREN, CLERMONT
Talawanda High School misses its stolen bell
More high lead levels found
Mother left him a legacy: faith in God and church
Conese brothers' legal woes keep Ohio Supreme Court busy
Leaders of Middletown looking ahead to 2023
Warren didn't know it was losing $
Warren County traffic featured in documentary
Voucher students even with others
Relatives, friends question house fire
Truck goes off road, kills I-275 construction worker
Letters target gay ordinance
Ky. Episcopal leader resigns
Hop to it for last few Easter egg hunts
Appalachian coal miners may go to N.Y. to protest hillbilly show
Candidates for governor campaign in N.Ky.