Sunday, March 23, 2003
Enquirer Page Two power rankings
By Mike Ball
1. Riley. One of the official staff pups came out of the first round of the NCAA pool in the lead, with 28 out of 32!
2. Great American Ball Park. Truly, a palace of the fans.
3. John Smoltz. Stud starter, stud reliever. And he beat Anika Sorenstam during a round of golf with Tiger Woods.
3. Roy Jones Jr. Looks like he's hooking up with Evander Holyfield in the fall. Poor Evander.
4. Jack and Arnie. It was still cool to see them in the same tournament again. Now for Tiger-Els.
5. Baseball Tonight. The music cranks up and we're one of Pavlov's dogs.
6. Bud Selig. He made the right call not sending the Mariners and Athletics to Japan. Problem is, opening day shouldn't have been over there in the first place.
7. Ron Hunter. The former Miami player and IUPUI coach showed why the first two days of the NCAA tourney are the best.
8. NASCAR. Last week's race won the weekend TV ratings for a fourth straight week.
9. Perkins Roofing/TPS. The two-time Metro Softball major champ won a USSSA invitational in Las Vegas and qualified for the worlds.
10. Morten Andersen. He re-signed with Kansas City for his 22nd season. Wants to kick 'til he's 50!
1. Tyronn Lue, NBA knucklehead No. 1. He equated the Wizards' fight for a playoff berth to the war in Iraq.
2. Ricky Davis, NBA knucklehead No. 2. The Cavalier actually missed a shot at the wrong basket in an attempt to get a rebound to record a triple-double.
3. Expanded NFL playoffs. Let's hope the owners vote the proposal down. This isn't the NHL.
4. The Basketball Hall of Fame. It actually asked for LeBron James' jersey. Before the season was over!
5. Martha Burk. Nice of her to tone down her protests during the war.
6. Skip Prosser bashers. Sure, you were mad he left Xavier. But it seems he can win big games after all.
7. My bracket sheet.
8. The NHL. Is the regular season over yet?
9. Shaq. Why does he have to rip Mike Bibby being added to the Olympic team?
10. Daniel Snyder. The Redskins owner is making Steinbrenner look cheap.
Full coverage at Cincinnati.com
Maryland 77, Xavier 64
Underdog Xavier has upset in mind
Daugherty: Bookends on XU's roster
Coaches experts on Terps
Majerus has the big blues
UK, Utah still have ties to '98
Apology ahead for UC's Machock
Gators-Spartans: Things could get rough
Cowboys will test Orangemen
Butler now faces Louisville's press
IU ready to mount a charge
After spurning Spartans' offer, Gators' Roberson must face them
MEN'S TOURNAMENT - SATURDAY'S GAMES
East: OU's Bookout covers for ailing Price
Midwest: Little-known Novak burns Mizzou
South: UConn turns to top guns
West: Hot-shooting Irish burn Illini
NCAA Tournament at a glance
NCAA Tourney notebook
NCAAs: The Skinny
NIT: Providence tops College of Charleston
New coach rebuilds XU from guards up
UC faces an uphill battle at home
Living legend roams Texas sidelines
Wright happy to be home
Women's tournament at a glance
Lady Vols have no problems at home
REDS / BASEBALL
Reds fans get first look
Graves lets go of bothersome pitch
Blue Jays 4, Reds 1
Harnisch is pleased with performance
It's the same old Angels, champs or not
Devil Rays release Vaughn
BENGALS / NFL
Bengals look to turn weakness into strength
Rams bolster line with trade for Saints' Turley
D-I state title: Moeller 73, Brookhaven 65
D-III state title: Reading 50, Sugarcreek Garaway 44
LeBron leads Ohio team to third state title
Ky: No. 1 Mason Co. 86, Lou. Ballard 65
Princeton's Davis joins elite crowd
Tiger tames field, leads by five shots
Sorenstam closes in on 1st win of season
Rangers keep slim hopes alive
Mighty Ducks beat Norfolk in overtime
Hawks stop O'Neal's shot at victory for Pacers
Hill won't give up despite surgeries
New York Hero tames Lion
Rider Cooksey injured in Turfway Park spill
Merchant's Harvard finale is memorable
Enquirer Page Two power rankings
Swarm gear up for af2 season
Following in footsteps of defunct Rockers
PLAN YOUR DAY
Sunday's sports on TV, radio