By Janice Morse
The Cincinnati Enquirer
HAMILTON - Prosecutors on Monday said they may seek to try a Cincinnati-area teen as an adult on charges that he severely beat and raped his 57-year-old literacy tutor in a basement classroom of the local YWCA.
"If the facts are even close to what's been represented, we will probably seek transfer (to adult court) on this one," said Greg Stephens, chief of the Butler County Prosecutor's Juvenile Division.
After a brief hearing Monday, a Butler County Juvenile Court magistrate ordered the boy held in the county's Juvenile Detention Center to await a March 18 appearance before Judge Ron Craft.
The Cincinnati Enquirer does not publish the names of youths accused of crimes or of sexual assault victims. The boy is charged with a juvenile count of felonious assault.
The woman was released from Fort Hamilton Hospital on Sunday, two days after the reported attack.
The YWCA has issued a statement saying that the woman, a Y employee, "is eager to return to work." YWCA Executive Director Sibyl Miller did not respond to requests for an interview.
In its statement, the YWCA asserted: "We had no warning that he would pose any threat to staff... We are particularly saddened that this criminal act occurred while the young assailant was receiving the benefit of instruction to improve his reading skills."
The boy had been placed with "Discovery for Youth," a state-licensed, independent-living facility in Hamilton after more than a dozen contacts with Hamilton County Juvenile Court since 2000, said Mark Reed, Hamilton County Juvenile Court administrator.
Reed said he was still trying to gather some information and couldn't release other details, but said none of the previous incidents were of the nature of the current accusations. Many of the earlier alleged offenses involved property crimes, such as theftsReed said the youth needed intervention from multiple agencies and, at one time, had been sent to a residential treatment center.
Bill Sherman, a Cincinnati attorney who represents Discovery for Youth, said he did not know what information Discovery may have had about the boy because the organization does not assume custody of the youths who participate in its programs.
TOP LOCAL STORIES
Prosecutor gave to Deters campaign
Demolition begins on historic church
Cincinnati library drops in circulation
Erpenbeck bill to die without vote
Poll: Ohio voters don't like Springer
LAURA PULFER COLUMN
PULFER: E-mail prank dumb, but is it criminal?
$10M gift will help build UC sports complex
Airline service at Lunken in holding pattern
Northgate pedestrian bridge goes unused
Woodward High design goes 'corporate'
AROUND THE TRISTATE
Tristate A.M. Report
Photo: Dance workshop
Obituary: Cynthia Rankin, cancer counselor
Good News: Girl Scouts serving food in city park
Retiring superintendent rehired
Fairfield bans paid, unlicensed massages
Teen may be tried as adult in rape
Teen fiddler changes group's rhythm
Butler Children Services may ask more
Combs will decide vote on fee
Kindergarten classes shuffled
Ex-church worker accused of taking $200,000
Ohio U. grieves student shot to death
Proposal exchanges gas tax for more vehicle fees
Ohio Bicentennial Moments: Pair became first Common Pleas judges
Tax breaks closer for Newport
Assembly OKs $14 billion state budget
Emergency sirens being tested today
Housing agency hopes design will curtail crime
Man answering door shot in head
Woman shot to death in apartment
Boone development post contested
Coal material spills from pond