Sunday, March 9, 2003
Enquirer Page Two power rankings
By Mike Ball
1. Ken Griffey Jr. Three swings, three home runs. On the day Phil Nevin, who rejected a trade to the Reds, separated his shoulder.
2. Ernie Els. Hey, why take on Tiger? Play around the globe and pocket some serious cash.
3. Four-year players in college. David West, Lenny Stokes and Keith Bogans. Good ones.
4. Cricket World Cup. It's a rivalry when you worry about nuclear weapons (India and Pakistan).
5. The global game. The NBA is filled with Eastern Europeans. The Expos' starting rotation has pitchers from the Dominican Republic (Bartolo Colon), Puerto Rico (Javier Vasquez), Venezuela (Tony Armas Jr.), Japan (Tomo Ohka) and La Salle High School (Zach Day).
6. Tim Duncan and David Robinson. The Spurs are 42-18, and we're tired of NBA players and their rap sheets.
7. Roy Jones Jr. Does he remind anyone else of Aaron Pryor?
8. Tiger. Must be nice to be able to turn down a $2.6 million appearance fee.
9. Coach K. Said his fans are spoiled. Hear that, UC students who didn't use all your tickets for the home finale?
10. John Chaney. Because we love the man.
1. Duke-North Carolina. The Tar Heels are so bad it's kinda sad.
2. The Lexington talk show caller who actually said, "If the Wildcats win another national title, we'll be stuck with Tubby." Yup, suffered through 16-0.
3. St. Bonaventure. Wait, this item blows. I quit.
4. XU bashers. Just because they play in the Atlantic 10 doesn't mean they can't make a deep postseason run.
5. Chadd Moore and Armein Kirkland. Where have these two guys been?
6. The Bengals. God bless Marvin Lewis. Wrote a letter to season-ticket holders suggesting the team isn't all that far away. Hey, they bought tickets, they watched last season.
7. Alice Cooper. Owns part of a Busch racing team, prompting the legendary Richard Petty to say, "Who's she?"
8. Gas prices. Hmmm. Bet LeBron James has to save his milk money to fill up that Hummer.
9. Kinder, gentler Lou Piniella. Took him three weeks into spring training to unleash an expletive-deleted tirade. Wait 'til the games count.
10. The NCAA. Sure, it consists of the member schools. But it's time to start punishing people, not institutions.
No. 11 XU 96, Temple 65
Daugherty: Good as it gets for Xavier
Matta responds to calls for 'Rhino'
Women: Rhode Island 52, Xavier 48
Marquette 70, UC 61
Bearcats' crown slips away
Women: Cincinnati 81, DePaul 64
No. 2 UK 69, No. 3 Florida 67
Simply a Tubby masterpiece
Equipment guy? Mr. Wildcat a cultural icon
Marshall 58, Miami 51
Mich. State 72, Ohio St. 58
Texas holds off Oklahoma
How Top 25 fared, scores
NKU lands GLVC title, Div. II tourney bid
Area players have Purdue in gear
Twelve Villanova players suspended
Stone sits as NCAA again has questions
Jordan to make final Garden appearance
Rookie Williams can't keep quiet
REDS / MLB
Batting order starting to take shape for Reds
Reds 8, Red Sox 8
Kearns latest sidelined by injury
Sore elbow made restless spectator of Hudson
Piniella, Baker left their mark
Twins lose Milton for 4-6 months
Applicants want to feed fans
BENGALS / NFL
Lewis accentuates the positive
FB Luchey bolts for Packers
Bengals Q & A
Bears make offer to Slash
Elder succumbs to confident Springboro in district championship
3-pointers save day for Crusaders
Trojans clinch 1st state tourney berth
Fookes earns 400th victory as Rebels win
Campbell Co. clinches first district title since '91
Princeton is pushed, but gains regionals
Hamilton drops St. X in wild one
Centerville dashes Warriors' hopes
Highlands, Dixie Heights unhappy with region draws
Groeschen: Preps Insider
Schmidt: Ky. Preps Insider
Prep playoffs results, schedules
OSU spring game tickets go on sale Monday
Hoch shares lead with Tway at Doral
Duval diagnosed with vertigo
Woods, Els formidable team
Burk receives award, maintains campaign against Augusta
Ducks edge Grizzlies 4-3
Seven Four Seven takes Wintergreen
Enquirer Page Two power rankings
Sports, politics a combustible mix
PLAN YOUR DAY
This weekend's sports on TV, radio