Saturday, March 8, 2003

Home hint

The Associated Press

Some do-it-yourselfers aren't sure whether to use putty or caulk for various home projects.

Putty is a doughlike compound used to fill in holes (from nails, for example) and for surface defects or open spaces.

Caulking is an old shipbuilding procedure of filling seams between the planks to make a vessel watertight.

Today, caulking is used to prevent water damage on long seams, such as around windows and doors, outside - and around sinks, tubs and showers, inside.

When dealing with holes or scratches, use putty.

But to fill a long, open seam where water can leak, lay in a bead of waterproof caulk such as silicone.

New life for your garden
Flower show ready to pull in at Coney
Rowan and Rice strange bluegrass bedfellows
Bluebirds' warble returning
Oscar insights
Circle This
Home hint
Get to it!