Thursday, March 6, 2003

Tristate A.M. Report

Compiled from staff and wire reports

Serial robbery suspect arrested on bus

The Subway robber worked this way: he'd get money from the Subway restaurant on Sixth Street downtown, run outside and hop on his getaway vehicle - a Metro bus.

Cincinnati police officers arrested Jermaine Dorn on a bus Tuesday night after the restaurant was robbed a little after 7 p.m.

Dorn, 28, of Norwood, was charged with four counts of aggravated robbery - for hitting the same restaurant Feb. 6, Feb. 24 and Tuesday night, and for taking employees' personal money Tuesday.

He was also wanted at the time for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Investigators think he used the bus as his escape route before, too. This time, an employee left the store and watched him walk to the corner of Main Street and board it, Sgt. Johnston said. "That ended up being the key," he said.

The employee, who recognized the robber and called 911, saying it was the third time the same man had stolen from the store, thought it was Bus 14. Officers couldn't find that, Sgt. Johnston said, but Sgt. Richard Antwine spotted Bus 4, and stopped it. Dorn was on board and had the evidence on him: $69.

That's the $70 stolen, Johnston said, minus the $1 bus fare.

Two radio stations in court over `The Eagle'

Two Cincinnati radio companies are going to war in federal court over which one gets to call its stations "The Eagle."

Pieratt Communications Inc., owner of Aurora's WSCH-FM (99.3) and Versailles' WXCH-FM (103.1), have sued in U.S. District Court to stop Radio Cincinnati Inc. from using "The Eagle" brand name to promote its station, WYGY-FM (96.5).

In the lawsuit, Pieratt claims its two country stations have been promoted as "The Eagle" since August 2002. The suit states that Radio Cincinnati began using the same name to promote its country station in January.

Pieratt claims its business has been hurt by the confusion, and that Radio Cincinnati has no right to "The Eagle" name.

The lawsuit accuses Radio Cincinnati of trademark infringement and asks Judge Sandra Beckwith to order the company to stop using the name.

Thermal camera helps to locate fire in condo

DEERFIELD TWP. - A thermal imaging camera helped township firefighters locate a fire Wednesday morning surrounding a furnace duct at the Harbour Watch condominiums near Socialville Fosters Road in southern Warren County.

A resident at 5475 Dockside Drive who was awakened by a smoke alarm called 911 around 2:30 a.m. Firefighters found smoke building up near the furnace in the eight-unit building.

While the cause is still under investigation, Capt. Doug Wehmeyer said the fire originated in the ceiling of the utility room, where the furnace is located.

Smoke and fire damage to the first-floor condominium, as well as minor smoke damage to the second-floor condo, is estimated at $40,000, Wehmeyer said. No one was injured.

Deerfield approves demolition for park

DEERFIELD TWP. - Township trustees agreed Tuesday to remove buildings on a 1.3-acre site slated for future parkland.

The trustees hired Henry Excavating of West Chester to demolish the house and cinder block shed at 3435 Montgomery Road. The demolition should take place sometime this month and last a couple of days, said Tim Hershner, township community development director.

Cuban immigrants win freedom; here illegally

Two Cuban immigrants won their freedom Wednesday when a federal appeals court in Cincinnati ruled that the government could not indefinitely detain them simply because they were here illegally.

The immigrants, Mario Rosales-Garcia and Reynero Arteaga Carballo, came to the United States in 1980 with thousands of other illegal Cuban immigrants during the Mariel boat lift.

Although they were detained upon arrival in Florida, both were eventually released on immigration parole.

Both men soon got into trouble in Kentucky and Tennessee for various crimes, from burglary to drug offenses, and both spent time in prison.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service sought to deport them when they were released from prison but was unable to do so because Cuba refused to take them back.

The INS then detained the two men pending deportation. But in its ruling Wednesday, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the indefinite detentions were unconstitutional.

Workers driving farther for jobs
Taft takes $140 million from schools
The hoax is on MU - classes DO meet today

Arbitrator: FOP finding is ready
Time of renewal begins
Bush friend leaving as envoy
Waldorf goes against school grain
City Council debates fate of Uncle Milt's
Krings' proposed contract changes little
Stadium bill may drop by $1.5M
Church had ties to slain man
'Profiles in Courage' to salute 4 as models for dealing with adversity
Westwood develops plan for business district
Ohio Moments
Tristate A.M. Report

RADEL: Tips on hit-skip needed
PULFER: Enough is enough
HOWARD: Some Good News

Lead shows up in latest tests
Helping Hands needs a boost
Retiree will serve for extra year
Little Miami superintendent stepping down
Local church takes on world
Counties' efforts for mentally ill studied
Horse thefts net one-year sentence

State police join priest investigation
Suspended doctors scrutinized
Tax vote divided in Fort Thomas
Kenton Co. still wants mother prosecuted in groin shooting
Tough eviction law proposed
Mardi Gras benefits homeless kids