Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Chapman was read his rights, officers testify

By Jim Hannah
The Cincinnati Enquirer

WARSAW - Four sheriff's deputies from West Virginia testified for three hours Monday as defense attorneys for Marco Allen Chapman attempted to get the accused killer's alleged confession thrown out.

The defense argues Chapman was not advised of his rights.

The West Virginia deputies were all present when Chapman was read his Miranda rights, said Commonwealth Attorney Linda Tally Smith. The two deputies who were present during most of the conversation said Chapman only asked for an attorney after speaking with authorities for about 1 hours.

The defense cross-examined the deputies but didn't call additional witnesses during the suppression hearing. The judge didn't rule Monday. He is allowing defense attorneys to submit a written brief after they receive a lab report. Part of their argument is that Chapman was under the influence at the time of the alleged confession, and they are awaiting blood tests to back up their claim.

The statement Chapman gave police has not been released to the public; it is said to be long and rambling. The transcript is 77 typed pages.

Defense attorneys told the court that they have commissioned University of Kentucky pollsters to measure how many people in Gallatin County are familiar with the Chapman case.

They hope the poll results will bolster their argument for a change of venue. Smith, however, said she was still opposed to moving the trial to another area.

Chapman was accused in August of a home invasion that left two children dead and their mother and a sister seriously wounded.

Chapman, of Union, stands charged with two counts each of murder and attempted murder, and one count each of rape, robbery, burglary and being a persistent felony offender.

Chapman is accused of killing Chelbi Sharon, 7, and her brother, Cody Sharon, 6.

Their mother, Carolyn Marksberry, survived 15 stab wounds and their sister, Courtney Sharon, 10 at the time, suffered cuts to the face.

After the attack, Chapman led police on a 200-mile chase to his home state of West Virginia, where he was apprehended and arrested.

E-mail jhannah@enquirer.com

City takes role in homeland security
Reds fans get another crack at tickets
Army training accident ends life of promise
Road salt in short supply
Making it on the outside: Part 3

PULFER: Scientific swimsuit edition
RADEL: Signs of spring

River level rises
River Road wreck

New tool offers help for kidney patients
New court to deal with mentally ill
Hit-run driver gets jail
County will revise Memorial Hall lease

Agencies receive money to fight teenage drinking
Tristate A.M. Report
Good News: Benefit for homeless children
Obituary: R.A. Weiskittel, 85, was newspaperman

Kerosene tank contained gas; buyers sought

Share of airport bill declined

Student-run bank pays off

Bicentennial Moments: Anna Symmes Harrison helped tame wilderness
Cargo planes supporting troops using Wright-Pat

Florence hires auditor who found alleged embezzlement
1 school stays open; 2 close
Eight days without power: Victims cope, hope
Officer seeks re-instatement
Chapman was read his rights, officers testify
No indictments for officers in shooting

Cause of country club fire can't be found