Sunday, February 16, 2003
Enquirer Power Rankings
The best & worst of the week in sports
By Mike Ball
The Cincinnati Enquirer
The top five1. Straight "A" tickets. Props to the sponsors and the Reds for the outstanding, long-standing program that rewards kids for their work in the classroom.
2. The Big O. The Sacramento Kings - once our beloved Royals - will honor the great Oscar Robertson today. Tune in to see the Kings wear 1965 Royals uniforms.
3. Bode Miller. Hey, it's freezing, and he's a skier.
4. Spring training. And now for those two famous words: visa problems.
5. Kobe Bryant. Looks like he's answering the "next Jordan" question.
The bottom five1. Baseball arbitration. Pitcher Mark Redman earned a raise from $300,000 to $2.1 million. He went 8-15 last season.
2. Advertising. Commercials during live action. Players more loyal to sponsors than to teams. But this takes the cake: Steve Williams, Tiger Woods' caddie, will wear a Valvoline Oil logo on his sleeve during tournaments. Vrrrooom.
3. The local Mighty Ducks. We're all for wacky minor-league hockey promotions. But the latest, well, let's just say it doesn't seem appropriate for a franchise that prides itself on catering to families.
4. Radio talk-show hosts. Only those who prefer to talk about Valentine's Day rather than sports.
5. The NHL, LPGA, WNBA and IRL. According to USA TODAY, they all have TV ratings lower than the PBA., a.ka. bowling!
Changes few, expectations many for Reds
Central Division rundown
Reds Notebook: Anderson seeks No. 5 spot
Reds E-mail: Readers lower boom on Boone
Cards move Ankiel to bullpen
Bengals will mine combine for prospects
Top pick means possibilities
Lewis knows how to win; it's his way
NFL Notebook: Bears might pursue free agent QB
Xavier 93, Rhode Island 70
XU Notebook: Chalmers rides pine after fouls
XU women run past La Salle
Charlotte 74, UC 64
NCAA TOURNAMENT LOOK AHEAD
Preview to Selection Sunday
The Enquirer's projected NCAA field
NCAA Tournament sites, dates
Postseason ticket information
MORE COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Miami 69, Marshall 49
Kentucky 68, LSU 57
UK Notebook: Barbour coming around
Louisville 73, Marquette 70
Kentucky Wesleyan 71, NKU 68
Local college basketball games
Michigan 70, Ohio State 54
Wisconsin 71, Indiana 59
Hunter's dream depends on dirty work
Austin loses IBF bantamweight crown
MORE LOCAL SPORTS
Ducks, Cyclones lose
Miami blanks Buckeyes in hockey
Hyde Park man set to run 800-mile Iditarod
World's most psychotic sporting events
Enquirer Power Rankings
Sports on TV-Radio
MORE PRO SPORTS
Sweep in Earnhardt Jr.'s reach
Tiger, Mickelson go one-on-one today
NBA Games: Blazers back on track
Agassi, Sanguinetti meet in finals
Trust N Luck wins Derby prep
HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
Revised basketball schedule
Alter tries to beat LeBron
Boys Games: No. 1 Withrow finishes undefeated
Girls Games: Ursuline ousts Princeton
Ky. Games: Dixie duo hit milestones
Indian Hill, Ursuline swimmers win districts
Girls swimming results
St. X, Western Brown win wrestling sectionals
Campbell tops Ryle for wrestling title
Schaffer trades appendix for assists
N.Ky. skater aims for nationals