Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Jasontek eyes Olympics


Synchronized swimmer, 27, will make one last try

By Neil Schmidt
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Becky Jasontek, 27, is nearly three years past her "last hurrah." And just a year from what could be Olympic glory.

The synchronized swimmer from Loveland, who planned to retire after the 2000 national championships, had a change of heart while in Sydney as an alternate for the U.S. Olympic team. Rededicated to her training, Jasontek now ranks No.1 in the lengthy Olympic Trials process.

"I decided to put myself full-throttle into it, and the results I'm pretty happy with now," she said.

In evaluations last weekend in Federal Way, Wash., Jasontek had the top composite score among 13 swimmers named to the 2003 World Championships and Olympic Games Training Squad. Her score will count as 40 percent in the overall Trials, with the other 60 percent determined during separate evaluations.

Cuts will be made to 10 swimmers, and that group will compete in the World Championships in Barcelona, Spain, in July and the Pan American Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, in August. In May 2004, the group is cut to nine Olympians.

Jasontek, a Mount Notre Dame grad who has competed for 20 years, is a veteran of 12 U.S. national teams. She was in line for the 2000 Games until a ruptured ovarian cyst interrupted her training and left her an alternate.

She had called the 2000 nationals her "last hurrah."

"Then the whole experience in Sydney was so amazing, I decided I could stick it out another four years," she said.

Jasontek lives in Santa Clara, Calif., training with U.S. Olympic coach Chris Carver.

"She is performing now better than ever," national team director Lanai Vaz DeNegri said. "She rose to the challenge this weekend."




REDS
Report: Rose to admit betting on baseball
Foster named to Reds Hall of Fame
List of Reds Hall of Famers

BENGALS
Lewis fills all but one coaching slot
Meet the new Bengals assistant coaches
Lewis tries to soothe Spikes
NFL says Bengals deserve more time to be competitive

XAVIER BASKETBALL
Xavier 93, Duquesne 58
Xavier Notebook: Chalmers will take it easy at first
Xavier's Waugh chats on ESPN.com

UC BASKETBALL
East Carolina could be trap for UC

COLLEGE BASKETBALL
No. 14 Indiana 69, Ohio St. 51
Top 25: Alabama fading fast
Mission of UK's Daniels: Contain Auburn's Daniels
Pitino worried about inside play against DePaul

SUPER BOWL
DAUGHERTY: Sapp is no one's fool, Cuz
Gruden sidesteps controversy over Raiders' breakup
Mystique vs. misery: Raiders have big edge in image
At 40, Rice still looking ahead
Talk makes headlines at Super Bowl
Teen part of Super Bowl broadcast

NFL
Cancer claims ex-Brown Eddie Johnson at 43
NFL Notebook: Ex-Bengal Schonert to coach Giants QB's

AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Serena, Clijsters to meet in semis
Agassi to meet Ferreira in semis
Australian Open Results

NBA
Webber makes case for MVP
NBA Games: Yao needs a breather

OLYMPICS
Jasontek eyes 2004 Games
Olympic Committee leaders revolts against president
Four advance in Silver Gloves

HIGH SCHOOLS
Kings moves into 1st in FAVC Cardinal
Ohio Boys Games: St. X rallies past Alter
Ohio Girls Games: No. 1 MND trounces No.4 St. Ursula
Simon Kenton holds off CovCath
Ky. Boys Games: Scott hangs on for 6th win
Ky. Girls Games: No. 2 Boone overwhelms No.7 Ryle
Ohio Basketball Notebook
Today's Basketball Schedule
Tuesday's High School Results
Boys Swimming Honor Roll
Girls Swimming Honor Roll
Gymnastics Honor Roll

TV-RADIO SCHEDULE
Today on TV-Radio