Sunday, January 19, 2003

House fire in Fort Thomas blamed on untended candle



The Cincinnati Enquirer

FORT THOMAS - An unattended candle is believed to have caused a fire early Saturday that caused $45,000 in damage to a two-story, three-family home in the 900 block of North Fort Thomas Avenue, fire officials say.

Fort Thomas Fire Lt. Jeff Parker said flames broke out shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday in a second-floor bedroom.

Smoke detectors alerted owner Tom Colebrook, who lives on the first floor. He rushed upstairs and tried to put out the flames, but they were too much for him, Lt. Parker said. He and the other residents escaped.

Fire damage was limited to the second-floor bedroom, but there was water and smoke damage to both floors.




TOP STORIES
Epling usurped duties of mail clerk
Contractor helping city recover from scandal
Wanted: Innovation
Private investors fuel innovation
NCR a rarity - an Ohio high-tech giant
Hundreds protest war

IN THE TRISTATE
Boehner's eyes on issues
Issues await Boehner's panel
Price Hill church to change hands
Exhibit's passport to Africa
Suspect in assault on police officer turns self in
Obituary: Chris Goettsch
Obituary: Donald C. Hess, past mayor of Montgomery
Tristate A.M. Report

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
BRONSON: Crime story
PULFER: The therapy dog
SMITH-AMOS: 'Peace over profits'
HOWARD: Some Good News

OHIO
Ohio State fans brave cold to celebrate champs
Ohio Moments
Ohio may have to shut down prison
Taft 'frustrated' drug firms not joining prescription plan

KENTUCKY
Murphy enters race for Congress
Jan. 28 election going unnoticed
House fire in Fort Thomas blamed on untended candle