Friday, June 14, 2002

Bishops vote to separate - not oust - abusive priests


Victims express outrage

The Associated Press

        DALLAS — After months of scandal that tore at the heart of the Roman Catholic Church, American bishops adopted a policy today that will bar sexually abusive clergy from face-to-face contact with parishioners but keep them in the priesthood.

        The national policy is intended to be binding on 178 mainstream dioceses, representing a major shift from the voluntary discipline guidelines the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has relied on for years. The bishops will need Vatican approval to make the policy binding.

img
Cardinal Theodore McCarrick of Washington backed a revised policy that would not automatically oust abusers.
(AP photo)
| ZOOM |
        The prelates stood and applauded after they approved the policy on a 239-13 vote.

        “From this day forward no one known to have sexually abused a child will work in the Catholic church in the United States,” said Bishop Wilton Gregory, the conference president. He apologized for “our tragically slow response in recognizing the horror” of sexual abuse.

        Under the plan, abusers — past and future — will technically remain priests but they will be prohibited from any work connected to the church, from celebrating Mass to teaching in parochial school to serving in a Catholic soup kitchen. In short, the plan aims to keep molesting clergy away from parishioners.

ENQUIRER REPORTS
Archive of stories about local priests accused of misconduct
        Priests still can be defrocked — removed from the priesthood — but it would be up to the presiding bishop, acting on the advice of an advisory board comprised mainly of lay people.

        The bishops were forced to address sex abuse after months of unrelenting scandal in which some 250 priests resigned or were suspended because of misconduct claims. Victim after victim come forward with tortured stories of abuse at the hands of priests, and accusations that church leaders merely shuffled molesters between parishes.

        Before the summit, there was speculation that the bishops would adopt a zero tolerance policy under which abusive priests would be automatically defrocked. The idea was dropped during closed-door debate.

        Salt Lake City Bishop George Niederauer, a member of the draft policy committee, said he felt the plan would still protect children. But victims were outraged.

        “This is akin to telling a street killer in the city "We're sending you to the country,”' said Mark Serrano of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests. “They will find children to prey upon.”

        Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua of Philadelphia said the policy reflected the need to show “Christ-like compassion” to priests.

        “We call them our son,” he said. “Therefore, we must continue to have that compassion and forgiveness like any parent.”

        Chicago's Cardinal Francis George urged his fellow bishops to embrace the policy, no matter their objections.

        “We need to pass this policy with all its flaws, some of them very deep indeed,” George said. “Implementing it will involve sacrifices but we have to be united around it.”

        So many last-minute changes were made to the policy that bishops were unable to provide a full text of the plan when it was adopted.

        The Vatican will be asked to approve key parts of the policy to make it law in the U.S. church, which includes nearly 64 million Catholics. Since each diocese answers to Rome, Vatican authorization is needed to make the policy more than a gentlemen's agreement.

        The Rev. Ciro Benedettini, a Vatican spokesman, had no immediate comment on the policy but said officials there would review it — which looks to be a lengthy process.

        There have been signs leaders in Rome were displeased with the reforms the Americans were discussing. Last month, the dean of canon law at the Pontifical Gregorian University wrote that bishops should avoid telling congregations that priests had sexually abused someone if the bishops believe the priests will not abuse again.

        The bishops began working in earnest on the policy after an April summit with Pope John Paul II and U.S. cardinals to discuss the scandal. The first draft was released to the nation's bishops only 11 days ago, and was revised in private discussions in the last week.

        The speed with which the document was written and approved was stunning for a church that usually debates issues for years.

        “This is a defining moment for us,” Archbishop Harry Flynn said as he opened Friday's debate. “A moment for us to declare our resolve once and for all ... to root out a cancer in our church.”

        The church came under intense scrutiny in January, when Cardinal Bernard Law of Boston acknowledged that he allowed a pedophile priest, John Geoghan, to continue to serve in parishes. Geoghan, now defrocked, was convicted this year of fondling a boy. More than 130 people say they Geoghan molested them.

        Since then, about 250 of the nation's 46,000 priests have resigned or been suspended, victims have filed at least 300 civil lawsuits and district attorneys have weighed criminal charges. Four bishops have resigned, two priests have committed suicide after being accused of abuse and another priest was shot.

        Some Catholics have warned they will redirect donations to charities over which church leaders have no control.

        The abuse policy was approved near the end of an emotional three-day meeting in which contrite bishops yielded the floor to victims who had criticized, picketed and sued them over the years for their perceived indifference.

        Catholic thinkers, invited to speak, told the prelates that clerical arrogance had brought this trouble to the church. Gregory said the crisis was “perhaps the gravest we have faced.”

        Another element of the plan will prohibit dioceses from signing confidentiality agreements with victims in civil lawsuits over sex abuse, unless the victim insists.

        Bishops also must report all claims of sexual abuse of a minor to public authorities. Church leaders have acknowledged that prelates in many cases had failed to report such allegations to law enforcement.

        The plan also would set up diocesan review boards to look at complaints and assess the diocese's response. The boards would be made up primarily of lay people.



Best path to mission is by bus
Priest won't retire, will replace bishop
Flag Day takes on a new poignancy
Alleged robber's widow sued over stolen money
City's downside spelled out
Douglas cites his concern for city
Drownings claim two toddlers, woman
Five gardens on display during tour
Minority students' test scores improve
Obituary: Jerry A. 'Jay' Ruberg, 73, founded Jay Tool & Die Co.
River Sweep planned Saturday
Survey: Traffic Blue Ash's one downer
Tristate A.M. Report
BRONSON: Enhance me
SMITH AMOS: Traffic ruckus
WELLS: Keep printing
City works to shape image
Sewer plan survives - for now
W. Chester rejects church as too large
Zoning rejection may kill project
Judge pushes back Traficant sentencing
Highlands sports fees may go up
Kentucky News Briefs
Ky. gets three of new federal scenic routes
UK researchers test lung cancer vaccine