Saturday, June 01, 2002
Charges against teens dropped
Boys were accused of plotting to kill New Miami police chief
By Janice Morse, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cincinnati Enquirer
HAMILTON A judge on Friday dropped all charges against three boys who were arrested in an alleged conspiracy to kill the New Miami police chief.
The action followed a grand jury's refusal to indict them under the state's new serious juvenile offender law.
Defense lawyers, their clients and families said they are relieved and the accusations were blown out of proportion.
Police Chief Duane Pelfrey and some New Miami citizens are upset. They said the threat to the chief was imminent even if no date for an ambush was set.
Meanwhile, Butler County Prosecutor Robin Piper said he wonders whether a state law change is needed because current laws didn't seem to adequately address the situation.
We have a lot of different laws that kind of land all around our facts (in this case), but none really addressing our facts, Mr. Piper said. These kids were reckless, irresponsible ... I believe that the legislature should consider some type of charge to hold this type of conduct accountable.
Police have said several of the teens gave statements admitting they talked about using stolen shotguns to carry out their plan. And under questioning, one youth drew a diagram showing where the would-be assassins planned to wait and open fire on the chief as he reported for duty, police said.
But alleged gun thefts happened before the discussion and Ohio's murder-conspiracy law requires proof of a substantial overt act to move a discussed plan forward. Chief Pelfrey has conceded the investigation might not have nailed down that proof.
Two other suspects had been initially charged: Samuel Harrison, 19, and a fourth juvenile. But charges against that juvenile were dropped, and Mr. Harrison was indicted Thursday on a burglary charge only.
Scott Blauvelt, Mr. Harrison's lawyer on the conspiracy charge, said, Proving conspiracy is difficult and I think it should be, because talk is one thing and actions are another thing.
Some New Miami residents thought otherwise.
Rick Gresham, 43, while preparing to trim a neighbor's lawn Friday morning, said the alleged plot set the town on edge and a lot of people took it seriously.
When I was a kid, I got into curious things, mischief. But nothing like that, he said. When you go around threatening somebody's life or livelihood, there ought to be repercussions.
When the teens were simply released, Chief Pelfrey said, I'm very disappointed. I'm very upset.
The chief's wife, Michelle, said: What if this had happened before it could be stopped? I wonder what the courts would have said then, that my husband knew about this and it was his fault for not stopping it? ...There needs to be something done to these kids.
Builder's case is a priority, FBI says
Remote mad cow danger cuts blood-donor pool
Sands says final farewells
Bishop named to Covington diocese
Conlon becomes Steubenville bishop
Ad campaign aims to fill Brown stadium
Drug bust puts bar's survival in question
Group: rewrite plan
Obituary: Dr. Raymond Krause a pioneer in vascular surgery techniques
Residents cheer demolition
Retiring FBI man would stay
Serving milk does this body good
Teens enjoy U.S. visit
Tristate A.M. Report
143 want on police panel
What is that yellow weed?
MCNUTT: Around town
RADEL: Closing St. Saviour
SAMPLES: Pro soccer
THOMPSON: Faith Matters
17 arrested in prostitution sting
Charges against teens dropped
Man pleads guilty in robbery, beating death
One brother convicted in pole barn scheme
Warren Co. group unveils Web site
Woodward school among honored sites
Columbus-area noise ordinance to remain
Democrats ask for probe of Deters' campaign funding
Ethanol production urged
Students classified correctly
Tax bill includes indexing
Commute to work getting longer
GOP has eye on Fletcher
Grandparents raising kids
Kentucky News Briefs
More school budget cuts?
Officials investigate vote-buying
Study: River needs restoration, funding