Tuesday, February 26, 2002

Ashes, wind spark blaze


No injuries in morning fire

By David Eck
Enquirer Contributor

        SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP — Hot, discarded ashes from a wood stove sparked a fire that destroyed two outbuildings and damaged a house at 1264 Madeleine Circle Monday morning.

        The occupant escaped safely and there were no injuries.

        Damage was estimated at $25,000.

        Firefighters were called to the ranch house at 11:36 a.m. and found fire coming from two sheds in the rear yard. The back porch of the home also was on fire.

        The blaze started after the occupant put ashes in the grass in the rear yard near the sheds, Springfield Township Fire Chief Robert Leininger said.

        Heavy winds ignited the grass and the blaze spread.

        “It probably would have been (fine) if the wind wasn't blowing,” the chief said.

        Firefighters from Mount Healthy were called to assist Springfield Township crews. They were on the scene about 3 1/4 hours.

       



Police agree to make changes in procedures
City's response to Justice Department recommendations
Complete text of police department response
Profiling: All parties agree to keep talking
Hyundai narrows plant choices
4 Lebanon jobs may be downsized
Olympic group to return more funds
Snow news is bad news
Township looks to install sewers
UC adds budget cry to cow-calling chorus
RADEL: Marge Schott
Some Good News
- Ashes, wind spark blaze
Republicans will run in all 99 districts
Skateboarding festival will boost region's image, county told
Vacationing juror will serve jail time
Campaign theme: Disabled belong
House approves power-plant bill
Larger state funding sought
Lawmakers, racetracks still mum over gambling proposal
Math students learn online
Newport Promenade development draws critics
Nurse indicted on cocaine charge
Ohio Hispanic commission meeting here
Seniors help count birds for project
Speed focus in fatal I-75 crash trial
Tristate A.M. Report