Saturday, February 23, 2002

Tristate A.M. Report

Boy, 14, convicted in cousin's murder

        A 14-year-old boy was found guilty Friday of murder in the death of his 8-year-old cousin.

        Hamilton County Juvenile Court Judge Sylvia Sieve Hendon sentenced the boy to the Department of Youth Services until he turns 21.

        He was convicted of helping kill Takeya Bryant, of Northside, whose badly beaten body was discovered Aug. 15 after relatives called 911.

        The teen, who is not being identified because he was charged as a juvenile, was babysitting Takeya and her three siblings.

        He told police that he'd tried to break up a fight between Takeya and her 11-year-old brother, but may have struck her several times in the process.

        The 11-year-old has already been convicted for his part in Takeya's death. He is in custody at Hillcrest Training School.

        The judge dismissed three juvenile counts of rape against the 14-year-old cousin.

        Judge Hendon said police violated the teen's rights when they talked to him about evidence that the girl had been sexually assaulted.

Police seek man in shooting death

       Cincinnati police are looking for a man who shot and killed a 29-year-old Price Hill man at his home Friday afternoon.

        Police were called to the 3700 block of Westmont Drive about 3 p.m. Friday on a report of a person shot. They found Christopher Arrington Jr. lying on the floor of the house.

        He was taken to University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

        Homicide investigators said they are seeking a black male who they described as in his mid-20s, 6-feet tall, 200 pounds and wearing a black leather coat. Mr. Arrington was shot with a small, silver-colored handgun by a man who fled in a car, police said.

        Police ask that persons with information about the shooting death of Mr. Arrington contact the Cincinnati police homicide unit at 352-3542 or call Crime Stoppers at 352-3040. Callers may remain anonymous.

Five arrested in robbery of women

        MIDDLETOWN — Four of five suspects remained jailed Friday in connection with the knifepoint robbery of a 66-year-old woman.

        The woman reported being robbed of about $100 around 4 p.m. Thursday at the Ames store on South Breiel Boulevard.

        With a description from the woman and other witnesses, police tracked five suspects and recovered some of the victim's property, a report says.

        Two women, Derrica Pope, 20, and Kara Kincaid, 21, both of Middletown, are charged with aggravated robbery. Derek Tinsley, 20, and James David Buttery, 18, both of Middletown, are charged with complicity to aggravated robbery.

        They remain in the city jail awaiting a Feb. 28 preliminary hearing. Their bonds were set at $100,000 each Friday.

50 high-achieving black students visiting

       Cinergy Corp. and the Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky African-American Chamber of Commerce will co-host a visit today by 50 high-achieving African-American students.

        The visit is in cooperation with the Top Teens of America program, which organizes trips to encourage appreciation of ethnic history and cultural heritage.

Water advisory lifted for Miami Township

        MIAMI TOWNSHIP — The Clermont County Water Department lifted a boil-water advisory for customers in northern Miami Township.

        The boil-water advisory was issued Thursday after a water-main break. The break was repaired overnight and water service was restored.

        After testing, it was determined the water-main break did not compromise water quality, said Scott Boyd, project manager for OMI Inc., the firm that did the testing.

Police officer saves woman in river

        A woman walked into the frigid Ohio River on Friday morning in an apparent suicide attempt, and a Cincinnati police officer was injured saving her, police said.

        Officer Norman Luttrell suffered a minor injury to his hand or arm about 8:30 a.m. when he went in to get the woman, whose name was not released.

        The woman and the officer were both taken to University Hospital.

Movie money fraud brings two-year term

        A Cincinnati man was sentenced to two years in prison this week for spending money intended for a movie deal on a Las Vegas wedding.

        Ronald Chambers, 50, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in U.S. District Court. Judge Sandra Beckwith sentenced him to two years and ordered him to repay nearly $1.2 million to two Chicago investors.

        U.S. Attorney Gregory Lockhart said Mr. Chambers promised the two investors that he could obtain financing for movies they wanted to produce.

        He said Mr. Chambers then persuaded one of the men to transfer more than $1 million from his IRA account to an account controlled by Mr. Chambers' company, Manu Inc.

        Mr. Chambers said the money was needed to show potential investors the men were serious, about the movie, Mr. Lockhart said. Instead, Mr. Chambers spent the money on a Las Vegas wedding and other personal expenses.

        The FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office have recovered about $341,000.


Decoys join effort to rustle rambling cow
New firetrucks won't fit garages
Taft appoints task force head
Bomb squad removes shells
Prescription benefit pushed
Crash leaves one critical, closes I-74
Doing right by the books
Groups fight over bond issue
Hamilton County may get dog park
Judge suggests Dater settlement
Police, voters at odds on issue
- Tristate A.M. Report
MCNUTT: Warren County
RADEL: Herd mentality
SAMPLES: Readers react
THOMPSON: Faith Matters
Brawl leads to assault conviction
Chamber ready, ready or not
Lebanon High to require multimedia skills
Mom charged in 3 infants' deaths
Trailer park set to shut down
Dems call foul on move by GOP
Proposed power plant sparks heat
State to begin inspecting crematoriums
Volunteers wanted for tutoring program
Water project will tie up traffic