Saturday, February 16, 2002
Enquirer Tipoff page
Enquirer staff and news services
Player of the week: Mike Sweetney
Georgetown's 6-foot-8 sophomore had what might be considered a good week for some players in one game. He totaled 35 points, 20 rebounds, six assists and six blocks in last Saturday's 116-111 four-overtime loss to Notre Dame. Sweetney finished 11-of-25 from the field and 13-of-15 from the foul line in 49 minutes.
No. 8-ranked Gonzaga gets all the national press, but it's Pepperdine (18-6) that leads the West Coast Conference at 11-0. It has won 13 in a row and tonight plays at Gonzaga.
The 49ers agreed with coach Bobby Lutz on a contract extension through the 2007-08 season. Good work. Lutz is underrated, and it was just a matter of time until some athletic director made a strong play for him. He is a good fit for Charlotte.
The Hilltoppers have won 12 straight the second-longest winning streak in the country behind Pepperdine. They are 22-3 and lead the Sun Belt Conference by four games at 11-1.
About 50 fans walked out of DePaul's game last Saturday against East Carolina to protest the state of Coach Kennedy's program. The action was organized on the internet. OK, so it wasn't a lot of people, but it's not a good sign to have supporters turn on you like that.
The National Association of Basketball Coaches released their all-district teams this past week. What was the rush, fellas? There's still close to a month left in the season. We don't know how much, if anything, would change, but certainly there are some league races to be decided, and often players off the top teams get nods over players off second- and third-place teams.
New Mexico politicians
Two state legislators have decided the University of New Mexico needs to examine the school's men's basketball program. Look, we don't know if coach Fran Fraschilla's team is in good shape on and off the court or not. What we're pretty sure of is that politicians must have something better to focus on.
How "sweet' it is
1. Duke (23-1)= Can't wait for Maryland game Sunday
2. Kansas (22-2)= Avg. 105.3 points over last 3 games
3. Maryland (20-3)= Can Terrapins stop the Duke machine?
4. Cincinnati (23-2)= Real challenges lie ahead
5. Alabama (21-4)= Has won seven of last eight
6. Florida (19-4)= Is on four-game winning streak
7. Gonzaga (23-3)= Showdown with Pepperdine tonight
8. Oklahoma (19-4)= Tough loss at Oklahoma State on
9. Kentucky (17-6)=Georgia beat UK in Rupp; rematch is today
10. Marquette (21-3)= Won 10 straight; good test Tuesday vs. Charlotte
11. Pittsburgh (21-4)=Nice win at Syracuse; should win next four games
12. Stanford (16-6)= Lost Jan. 26 at USC; rematch is Thursday
13. Arizona (17-7) = Lost at buzzer to UCLA; tough one today at USC
14. Miami, Fla. (21-4)=Lost last Sunday at BC, then hammered St. John's
13. Okla. State (19-6)=Big win Wednesday over Oklahoma to end 3-5 slide
16. Oregon (16-7)=Lost last two, both in OT; vs. Oregon State today
TOP 5 LIST
This week's topic: College basketball Web sites worth checking out.
1. www.collegeRPI.com: Besides providing daily RPI listings for men's and women's basketball, this site has season schedules and results for every team, plus explanations of how the RPI works and how it affects your favorite team.
2. www.sportspages.com: This site helps you link to the online sports section of every major newspaper in the nation. Read up about future foes.
3. www.espn.com: The site's college basketball page is a font of information. Most interesting this time of year are the Bubble Watch breakdowns and Joe Lunardi's Bracketology section.
4. www.whatifsports.com: A computer program lets you match up any two teams and see who would win. It even gives you a box score. You can do the same for a number of sports.
5. www.kentuckysportsreport.net: Home of the infamous WildcatChat basketball forum, the must-read message board for the hardest fans to please in the country.
Keep an eye on these games in the upcoming week:
Kentucky at Georgia, 1 p.m. today (Ch. 12): The Bulldogs have lost four of their past six. Might be the right time for UK to get payback for that stunner in Rupp five weeks ago.
Saint Joseph's at Xavier, 8 p.m. today (ESPN2): The Hawks, a preseason Top 10 team, will need this one to keep alive NCAA at-large hopes.
Pepperdine at Gonzaga, 10 p.m. today (ESPN2): Which one leads the other by a game in the West Coast Conference? If you said Gonzaga, you're wrong.
Duke at Maryland, 1 p.m. Sunday (Ch. 12): Duke beat the Terps by 21 in Durham, but things could be different in College Park.
Marquette at Cincinnati, 7 p.m. Friday (ESPN): UC couldn't snap Marquette's perfect home season. Can the Golden Eagles spoil UC's unbeaten season in the Shoe?
Logan 41, USM 37
SULLIVAN: Bob Huggins
Disappointed SJU playing for pride
Bengals focus on Hawkins
Tackle Roaf to Saints: Release me or I'll retire
Pitches zipping for Williamson and rebuilt arm
Reds tickets on sale today
Elder downs St. X, ends GCL drought
Roger Bacon tops CJ
Roundup: Ohio boys
Roundup: Ohio girls
Roundup: Kentucky girls
Roundup: Kentucky boys
Dublin Coffman players trade scoring record
Wrestling: Madeira leads D-III sectional
St.X captures district swim but not much else
Indiana boys basketball scores
Kentucky boys basketball scores
Kentucky girls basketball scores
Ohio boys basketball scores
Ohio girls basketball scores
Schedule: Boys basketball
Schedule: Girls basketball