Sunday, December 09, 2001
Page Two power rankings
Enquirer sports staff
TOP FIVE: 1. Ken Griffey Jr.: He shows up at Redsfest and makes the day for 250 kids. It was a small gesture, but Reds fans certainly appreciated it.
2. David West: He's having an amazing year without much help. Now, if the Muskie Village can convince him to stay another year.
3. Jeff Shaw: Willing to play for the Reds for less. That's a nice move. This is one time Uncle Carl should step in and make the money available.
4. The Los Angeles Lakers. They missed becoming only the seventh team in NBA history to begin a season 17-1, but they're still one of oh, say, four teams in the NBA this season that are watchable.
5. College football. Colorado knocks off Texas. Tennessee beats Florida. Top-ranked Miami survives a scare from Virginia Tech. Oregon beat rival Oregon State. Four huge games decided by a total of nine points. Not to mention Army-Navy.
BOTTOM FIVE: 1. Ken Griffey Jr.: He shows up at Redsfest, but he stays only an hour. His session was totally painless. It would have been OK even if he had avoided signing for card-show geeks and signed just for kids. Barry Larkin did the whole deal both days.
2. The Yankees: They sign every good player they need. It's not really fair, which makes the Big Unit and Schilling punking them in the Series all the sweeter.
3. Bud Selig: Bud Lite didn't look like a smooth operator in front of Congress. And that hair! The guy is worth millions and it looks like he prepared for the hearing with a $3 special at Super Cuts.
4. Notre Dame. Correct us if we're wrong, but wasn't there a time not so long ago that people wanted to coach and play football in South Bend?
5. Charles Barkley. Hey, nobody loves the big guy more than us. But him saying he wants to return to help out Michael Jordan? Yeesh. Isn't watching Jordan bad enough?
LeBeau sets lofty goal for Bengals
Jaguars, Bengals sharing the misery
Isolation Booth: Bengals' Mark Roman Vs. Jaguars' Jimmy Smith
Keys to the game
The Edge: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Cincinnati Bengals
By the numbers
Super Bowl year: GAME 12
Curnutte picks the NFL
NFL power ratings
DAUGHERTY: Shouldn't every day be Redsfest?
SULLIVAN: Selig's math doesn't add up
Reds Q&A with John Fay
Redsfest needs set dates
Logan's passing fancy helps UC win big
West shows versatile skills
Boys basketball roundup
Girls basketball roundup
Hockey: Moeller continues fast season start
McAuley outlasts Boone