Thursday, November 22, 2001

OxyContin overdose kills tot




By Jim Hannah
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        FLORENCE — A 23-month-old toddler died Sunday of an apparent OxyContin overdose, according to Florence police.

        Dudley John Michael Ferdinando III reached into his mother's purse Nov. 14 and grabbed an OxyContin bottle and ingested three pills.

        The boy was treated that day at St. Luke Hospital West in Florence and released, according to police. The following morning, the parents found him unconscious. The boy was taken back to St. Luke before being transfered to Children's Hospital Medical Center.

        A St. Luke West nursing supervisor confirmed that the child was treated twice at the hospital.

        The infant's parents, Wayne and Bobbie Ferdinando of the 6300 block of Clark Street, have not been charged. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. and service at 8 p.m. Friday at Chambers & Grubbs Funeral Home, Florence.

        Memorials can be made to Children's Hospital Medical Center, Development Office, 3333 Burnet Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039.

       



Saks to get $6.6M subsidy
Giving thanks
Giving thanks for those who serve
From far away, a new family
Family, friends mourn boy who always smiled
Armed man sought in slaying
Guard unit headed to Kuwait
Tristate A.M. Report
CROWLEY: Ky. Politics
RADEL: Rare gifts
Deerfield Twp. OKs payouts for retiring workers
Mason plans Christmas event
Churches seek probe of game lobby
Electric chair banned in Ohio
Judge told to reconsider abortion case
Police chief not charged in attack on football coach
Brothers fondly recalled
FBI: 'Potbellied bandit' wanted
Flaig will run for second term
- OxyContin overdose kills tot
Rain takes care of Ky. wildfires
Schrand in county atty. race