Monday, September 03, 2001

UK student killed in apartment fire




        LEXINGTON — A 19-year-old University of Kentucky student died early Saturday morning while she was sleeping after a kitchen fire clouded her apartment with smoke.

        Firefighters found Shea Elizabeth Johnson unresponsive on her bedroom floor in the Sonnet Cove apartment complex, said Maj. Mike Bossert of the Lexington fire department.

        Authorities said the fire appeared to be an accident; a stove burner wasn't turned off. The burner ignited nearby materials, possibly paper towels, but flames did not spread beyond the kitchen, Maj. Bossert said.

        Ms. Johnson was taken to UK Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 5:25 a.m. Saturday, authorities said. An autopsy showed that Ms. Johnson died of smoke inhalation, according to the Fayette County coroner's office.

       



Respect at core of police debate
Summer goes out with bang
Turfway future in doubt
Tourism takes a beating
Warren Co. bucks tourism decline
RADEL: Order local mustard for ballpark
Auditor objects to dog fee increase
Mantises preying on bug bonanza
Mayoral long-shot hones message
Cheetah Run helps families bond
Chesley settlement in hip suit challenged
Labor Day closings
Local Digest
You Asked For It
Congrats
Corn mazes a money maker
Fairfield unveiling new library
Warren charity drive sparked
Attorney selection changing
Campbell High reuniting grads
Carrollton man dies in wreck
GOP left with one opponent to Lucas
Group attacks road congestion
Prayers focus on healing
Test fails to link slave, justice
Boyz II Men singer weds ex-Toledoan
New dorm is preview of campuses' future
Protein images examined
Skydiver returns after accident
- UK student killed in apartment fire