Friday, August 24, 2001
Girls soccer preview: Div. II-III
Indian Hill No. 1 in tight race
By Dave Schutte
In a wide open and close Divisions II-III poll, Indian Hill emerged as the favorite followed by Roger Bacon, Mariemont, Cincinnati Country Day and Wyoming.
The following is a look at the top teams going into the season which begins Saturday.
1. Indian Hill: The return of eight seniors, including three all-state players is reason for the Braves' top ranking.
Coach Amy Rief will look to defenders Jaime Cowgill and Kristen Ellis with strikers Jenna Kereiakes (10 goals, 7 assists) and Amanda McCaw (6 goals, 7 assists, and midfielder Erin Schmitt (7 goals, 7 assists) providing the offense.
2. Roger Bacon: Look out for a Spartans team that returns 10 starters. Goal keeper Sherry Slye will anchor a defense that will rely heavily on sweeper Emily Doll with midfielders Ashley Janning and Michelle Kelly at the important midfield positions.
3. Mariemont: Nine returning starters, including high scoring Lauren Potts (9 goals, 14 assists) and Liz Kauffman (12 goals, 8 assists) give coach Mike Haney's Warriors a potent team.
Goalie Whitney Raeon will anchor a strong defense that also includes Lisa Hammersmith, Kim Donovan, Lizzy Anthony, Gretchen Perry and Jennifer Sarran.
4. Cincinnati Country Day: All-state striker Missy Vierling (24 goals) is one of six returning starters for an Indians team that went undefeated in the tough Miami Valley Conference.
Coach Theresa Hirschauer will also look to Keiana Mitchell, Brittany Woods, Ashley Durand, Emily Geier and Lindsay Warm.
5. Wyoming: The Cowboys field a potent offensive team with center midfielder Alexis Schmidt leading the way along with Jenny Westendorf, Alyson Ahearn and Maggie Stahler.
Reds 12, Cardinals 2
DAUGHERTY: Griffey striving to stomach stardom
Reds won't get 2 million fans
Reese streaking at top of lineup
Reds-Expos scouting report
Reds box, runs
Bengals back where they started on D-line
Bengals pick up LB Moore
Smith's agent, Bengals splitting hairs
Akili sees chances slipping away
C-USA tourney likely to stay at Firstar
UC gets unofficial visit from Hicks
XU volleyball team No. 1 in A-10