1. Jose Rijo: How great is it to see him back?
2. Barry Bonds: What can you say, really?
3. The NFL: The new scheduling plan not only will spice up the games, but it'll stop rewarding teams for being bad. Not to mention any names or anything.
4. High school football: It's back! And if Highlands can lose, then you know this is a season when anything can happen.
5. UC men's basketball: OK, we admit it (grudgingly). Opening the season with Oklahoma State is strong. Now, just promise: No more Sam Houston States. Ever.
1. The Red Sox: They fire manager Jimy Williams in the middle of a pennant race. Guess someone else would have had a better plan for beating Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, Jamie Moyer and Freddy Garcia.
2. Eric Lindros trade rumors: It's really going to happen this time! Really! They swear! They promise! It's going to happen! Unless it doesn't ...
3. Veterans Stadium: Philadelphia's concrete pen technically could appear in the bottom five every single week. It's just that bad. Looks like the NFL preseason just snuck up on the groundskeepers.
4. The Washington Redskins: Gee, picking up Tony Banks ought to fix all their quarterback problems. Few things in football are as onerous as snatching up players discarded by your archrival.
5. Terry Glenn: Well, at least he has all season to pick up his golf game.