Thursday, August 09, 2001

Tristate A.M. Report

'Most Wanted' list adds three arrests

        Three more people were taken off Cincinnati's Most Wanted list Wednesday:

        • Robert Neel, wanted on warrants for domestic violence and theft.

        • Willis Pearson of Westwood, accused of breaking a woman's ribs and puncturing her lung.

        • Robert E. Brown, wanted for domestic violence, was arrested Tuesday night at the Red Roof Inn on Kennedy Avenue by Hamilton County sheriff's deputies.

        The arrests bring to 31 the number of people on the list found since it was first published July 25, the first day of the Violent Crimes Task Force. Thirty have been arrested, another found dead. The list had totaled 97 people.        

Shuttle will serve seafood festival

        The Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky's Southbank Shuttle will be available for the Great Inland Seafood Festival on Newport's Riverboat Row and Reds games during the coming weekend.

        Hours will be 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. Southbank Shuttle fare is 50 cents per trip. For more information call (859) 331-TANK.        

College appoints admissions director

        Peggy Minnich is the new director of admission at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Delhi Township. She has been in the admission office since joining the staff as a counselor after graduating from the college in 1986.

        Her bachelor's degree is in sociology/social work.

        Ms. Minnich, 37, of Covington, is a member of the executive board of the Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling and active on the advisory board of the National College Fair sponsored by the national ACAC.

Walnut Hills man shot in robbery

        A Walnut Hills man was robbed and shot in the head early Wednesday morning but escaped with only a slight wound.

        Aziz Warren, 20, of the 700 block of Oak Street, was walking with two other people in the 2600 block of Stanton Avenue in Walnut Hills at 2:30 a.m. when they were accosted by three armed men, Cincinnati police said.

        When one of the men fired a shot as they approached, one of Mr. Warren's companions fled, police said. Mr. Warren and another man — Charles Anderson, 24, of the 2600 block of Stanton Avenue — were ordered to lie on the ground.

        After Mr. Warren and Mr. Anderson were robbed, one of the three men fired a shot at Mr. Warren, grazing his head, police said. The three armed men then fled east on Oak Street. The victims did not give descriptions of their assailants.

        Mr. Warren was taken to University Hospital, where he was treated and released.

        The shooting was the 73rd in the city since the April riots and Mr. Warren is at least the 87th victim wounded by gunfire since then.

        Police ask that anyone with information call Crime Stoppers at 352-3040.        

Toddler drowns in park lagoon

        SHARONVILLE — A Price Hill toddler drowned Tuesday evening during a family reunion in Sharon Woods.

        Briasia Wright, 18 months, was pronounced dead at Bethesda North Hospital shortly before 10 p.m. She was found in a lagoon of Sharon Woods Lake behind a park lodge about 8:45 p.m. after wandering off from her family, Hamilton County Park Ranger Lt. Greg Smith said.

        “She was face down,” he said. “The water there is not that deep. Had she been a little taller, she probably could have gotten up and walked out.”

        A park ranger and a nurse in the park performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation before paramedics arrived, police said.

        It was the first accidental drowning in a Hamilton County Park this year, Lt. Smith said.

Man charged with radio interference

        MIDDLETOWN — A ham radio operator faces a felony charge for allegedly interfering with police radio transmissions.

        Kenneth Kelly, 28, was arrested Tuesday at his home in the 100 block of Clinton Avenue on a charge of disrupting public service. He was being held in the city jail Wednesday awaiting court action.

        He is accused in incidents that occurred July 25 and 26.

        On July 25, “there were 11 unidentified transmissions using vulgarity and some singing,” a report says. On July 26, there were 18 such transmissions and “some laughter.”

        The transmissions included use of a racial slur, as well as chants of “Ice, Ice Baby,” from singer Vanilla Ice's hit tune.

        The stray messages came across frequencies used in car-to-car communication and “interfered with just normal business,” said Lt. Don Owens. “It's a real danger to the public.”

        A tip from a fellow ham radio operator led police to Mr. Kelly, Lt. Owens said.        

Police arrest two in violent-crime cases

        HAMILTON — City police have made arrests in two separate violent crimes.

        Eddie Lee Alexander, 22, of the 700 block of Gordon Smith Boulevard, was arrested on charges of attempted murder, possession of crack cocaine and drug trafficking. He was being held in the city jail Wednesday in lieu of $50,000 bail.

        He is set for a preliminary hearing Aug. 16 in Hamilton Municipal Court.

        John Carter, 43, of Hamilton, was shot in the face July 20 while walking along Front Street. Mr. Carter was treated at Fort Hamilton Hospital and released.

        In an unrelated incident Monday,police arrested Willie James Griffin Sr., 39, of Edison Avenue. Police say Mr. Griffin pointed a firearm at a woman, took property from her and fled.

        Mr. Griffin is accused of resisting arrest, aggravated robbery, carrying a concealed .25-caliber handgun, possession of drug paraphernalia, illegal weapons possession and criminal simulation.

        He was being held in lieu of $5,000 bail in the Butler County Jail on Wednesday awaiting an Aug. 15 preliminary hearing.        

Man lay dead for four days at rest stop

        LANDRUM, S.C. — An Ohio man who died of a heart attack at a highway rest stop remained undiscovered for four days, even though the camper he was towing was visible from a welcome center.

        David Wayne Cramer, 44, of Batavia, was identified Tuesday using dental records.

        Coroner's investigator Alison Cocoros said Mr. Cramer left Kentucky on July 30 towing the camper, which he was supposed to deliver to a dealer in Columbia, S.C., the next day.

        Officials think he pulled into a state welcome center on the North Carolina-South Carolina border off Interstate 26 between 10 p.m. and midnight July 30 to sleep. Mr. Cramer, who had a history of heart problems, likely died during the night, Ms. Cocoros said.


City to pay $700,000 settlement
Health risk high for shut-ins without air conditioning
Check older folks: Heat poses extra danger for them
Probation chief calls it quits
PULFER: Risky business
Farming becomes an endangered career
Main Street fest aims to lure people back
Proposal aims to tighten city council ethics policy
Spitter gets 8 months in jail
After seven decades, they're still together
Source for story need not be named
System of future in use at airport
- Tristate A.M. Report
Disaster aid offices preparing to close
Eight vie for four seats in Lebanon
Mall roof removal starts today
Schools score victory on taxes
Suspects at large in Mosler embezzlement
Wire twisters become artists
$5M in thefts blamed on group
Caterpillars ravage Ohio in worst year on record
OhioReads gets surge of volunteers
Under bill, psychiatrist would OK RU-486
Henry objects to photos
Kentucky News Briefs
OxyContin use in Ky. doubled
Search of farm for body to go on
Seniors picnic hot spot for politics
Teacher wins for natural idea