Sunday, July 01, 2001

Body found amid home fire


Cigarette may have caused apartment blaze

The Cincinnati Enquirer

        HARRISON — Patty Holmes died in her burning, second-floor apartment Saturday morning, but fire officials aren't sure whether a medical condition or smoke inhalation killed her.

        The fire in Ms. Holmes' downtown apartment, 102 Harrison Ave., started in the bedroom shortly before 8 a.m., said Fire Chief Alan Kinnett.

        He suspects that Ms. Holmes, 51, who was known as a heavy smoker, left a lighted cigarette on her bed to go to the bathroom. She may have then suffered a medical ailment — perhaps a stroke or heart attack — when the cigarette set the apartment on fire.

        Firefighters arrived to find flames throughout the apartment. They discovered Ms. Holmes in the bathroom. Only her fingertips were burned.

        There was smoke damage throughout the second floor, causing about $50,000 in damage to the apartment building, Chief Kinnett said.

        Autopsy results should be available today.

       



Beefing up the ER
Despite his familiar face, Fuller's views a mystery
School reforms bear fruit
Buyers get a lot of bang for bucks
Oath unites Boone cops
BRONSON: Bad medicine
CROWLEY: Political pearls
WILKINSON: Politics
Blah beige beating blue
- Body found amid home fire
Counties boast 2 courthouses
Guitar virtuoso Chet Atkins dies
In Cold Spring, growth is hot
Ky. Central suit reinstated
Norwood police move into modern HQ
Officials at odds over pay raises
Residents warned of burglaries
1st class leaves Cyber High
Steelmaker and union take a breather
Track attendance down? Bet on it
Twp. festival aims to foster community feel
Welcome, kids, to Safety Town
Tristate A.M. Report