Wednesday, June 20, 2001

Man charged with three murders

Police think killings would have continued

By Marie McCain
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        After luring a 64-year-old neighbor into his house and beating the man to death, Stanley Fitzpatrick tried to get the neighbor's wife to come check on her husband, prosecutors said Tuesday.

        They believe Mr. Fitzpatrick intended to continue a killing spree that began with his girlfriend, Doreatha Hayes, 42, her 12-year-old daughter, Shenay, and ended with the neighbor Elton “Arybie” Rose.

        The 33-year-old Lincoln Heights man was indicted Tuesday on three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of aggravated robbery, and one count each of attempted murder and aggravated robbery.

        If convicted he could face the death penalty — a sentence Hamilton County Prosecutor Mike Allen said his office would “vigorously pursue in this horrific case.”

        The bodies of the three were discovered late June 9 when police investigated after a 911 dispatcher received a hang-up call from 687 Chicago Ave., in Lincoln Heights.

        Upon arrival, Lincoln Heights Police Sgt. DeAngelo Sumler was met by Mr. Fitzpatrick who told him someone needed help inside the house. The sergeant followed Mr. Fitzpatrick into the house, but ran outside when the man allegedly turned and began shooting at him, officials said.

        Mr. Fitzpatrick then stole the officer's police cruiser, wrecked it, invaded a home, stole another vehicle and then led police on a 24-hour manhunt that ended in his June 10 arrest.

        Moments before Sgt. Sumler arrived, Mr. Fitzpatrick allegedly told Mr. Rose's wife, Betty: “Your husband wants to see you across the street.”

        Rose family members said Mr. Fitzpatrick had lured Mr. Rose to the house in the same way, saying that Ms. Hayes and her daughter needed his help.

        Mr. Allen said a motive has not been determined and Mr. Fitzpatrick's mental status has not been assessed.

        Investigators believe Ms. Hayes and her daughter were killed June 7. The beaten, mutilated bodies were found amid debris — one in a closet, one under a master bedroom mattress.

        It appeared that the pair had fought for their lives. There was evidence of defensive wounds on their bodies, officials said.


Adamowski decides to stay
He's slowed, but steadfast
Aging schools a problem, justice says
Errant advisory lifted, British coming again
Evidence of excessive force slim, lawyer says
Local groups start OTR cleanup
150,000 expected at Ujima festival
GOP leaders admit they can't override Taft veto
Andrew Young next at podium
Book will spotlight unique UC architecture
Boomer boon for Children's
Bridge tumble injures boy, 12
Chesley next to sue maker of OxyContin
Cobb leaving early for Missouri
Covington schools to move buses
Girl drowns at state park
Heimlich proposes new maneuver
Home for addicts allowed
Kentucky crops outlook improves
- Man charged with three murders
N. Ky. power plant still in works
Officer training adds simulator
One of two Covington sites favored for jail
Police led on I-71, 75 chase
Prosecutors: Sibling rivalry led to slaying
Scout camp promises fun
Township fills vacant position
UK budget approved; health-care hike blasted
Kentucky News Briefs
Tristate A.M. Report