1. Hampton: (It's in Virginia by the way) A No. 15 seed beating a No. 2, as Hampton did to Iowa State, is a beautiful thing. But watching the celebration made it even more beautiful.
2. Gonzaga: Don't call the Zags Cinderella anymore. Dan Dickau gets our early vote as the best hair in the tournament.
3. Temple: We love a team that will play anyone, anywhere, anytime. And guess what? It makes you better. That's why the Owls had no trouble with Texas.
4. Butler: The Bulldogs didn't look like a No. 10 seed in beating up on Wake Forest. It was 43-10 at half, proving that every team on Tobacco Road doesn't deserve an NCAA berth.
5. Jerry Tarkanian and Lefty Driesell: Old coaches don't fade away; they just keep winning in the NCAA. The Tark is 17-1 in the NCAA first round after Frenso's win over Cal.
|| BOTTOM FIVE |
1. Xavier: From the bubble to bust. The Muskies never shook themselves from the late-season funk. Notre Dame looked beatable, but Xavier never made a serious second-half charge.
2. NCAA selection committee: Once again, the wizards go with with seven Big Ten teams instead of adding a couple more mid-majors. Then the Big Ten starts out 1-3. Come on, give the Richmonds of the world a chance.
3. Ohio U.: The Bobcats fire Larry Hunter after he wins 19 games. That's a little harsh. The fact is the MAC only gets one ticket to the Big Dance every year. The Bobcats should have gotten it this year, but they ran into a Miami team that had a little luck on its side.
4. Moeller: Steve Klonne deserves better, or at least there should be an explanation why he's not coming back. News flash: No one from down here wins the big-school football title. That's been a fact since Cleveland changed its enrollment rules.
5. The Big Ten: Ohio State, Indiana and Wisconsin all were pinged in the first round.