(This week/Last week)
1. () Blood Lure, Nevada Barr (Putnam; $24.95). Trip to national park goes awry.
2. (1) We Were the Mulvaneys, Joyce Carol Oates (Plume, $13.95). The disintegration of a family after a daughter is raped; current Oprah's Book Club selection.
3. (3) The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier (Plume; $12). Novel uses Vermeer's portrait as a starting point.
4. (2) A Painted House, John Grisham (Doubleday; $27.95). A contemplative story of sharecroppers set in 1952 rural Arkansas with typical Grisham tension between migrant Mexicans and hill people. 5. (6) Deep South, Nevada Barr (Berkley Publishing; $6.99) Park ranger/detective Anna Pigeon gets herself promoted smack dab into the mysterious death of a local beauty queen.
6. () The Bonesetter's Daughter, Amy Tan (Putnam; $25.95). Story is told from two (mother, daughter) perspectives.
7.(4) Brethren, John Grisham (Island Books; $7.99). Three disgraced former judges in federal prison and their machinations.
8.() The Red Tent, Anita Diamant (Picador; $14). New view of Dinah, who appears briefly in the Book of Genesis.
9.(5) House of Sand and Fog, Andre Dubus (Vintage; $14). Latest Oprah Book Club pick. Three fragile and determined people relentlessly entangled in an escalating crisis.
10.() Cradle and All, James Patterson (Warner Vision; $7.99). Plagues, famine and an awful miracle involving pregnant virgins.
(This week/Last week)
1. (9) Hiss and Tell: True Stories From the Files of a Cat Shrink, Pam Johnson-Bennett (Penguin USA; $12).
2. (1) Who Moved My Cheese? Spencer Johnson (Putnam; $19.95). Dealing with change at work and in life.
3. () Ice Bound, Jerri Nielsen, MaryAnne Vollers (Talk Miramax Books; $23.95). Doctor, stationed in Antarctica, battles breast cancer.
4. () Divided Lives: The Untold Stories of Jewish-Christian
Women in Nazi Germany, Cynthia Crane (St. Martin's Press; $26.95).
5. (5) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers (Vintage, $14). Memoir: Mr. Eggers raised 8-year-old brother Toph.
6. () The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz (Amber-Allen; $12.95). Subtitled A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom.
7. () The Community Dream, Pat C. Brockman (Woven Word Press; $21). Subtitled Awaking the Christian Tribal Consciousness.
8. () Cincinnati Today, Miles Wolf (Wolf Publishing; $27.95). Collection of photographs.
9. () The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love, Jill Conner Browne
(Three Rivers Press, $12). The original adventures of the bawdy
Jackson, Miss., bunch.
10.() Body-for-Life, Bill Phillips, Michael D'Orso (HarperCollins; $26). 12 weeks to mental and physical strength.