Tuesday, March 06, 2001
Hot tips and news to start your business day
Today's number: 1,900
New Sprinter delivery vans, a European commercial van made by Mercedes, that DaimlerChrysler AG will deliver to U.S.-based courier service Federal Express Corp. this year.
Today's money tip: You can get off mailing lists for credit card offers and other solicitations by calling or writing:
- (888) 5-OPTOUT (567-8688); or send your request to Options, Equifax Inc., P.O. Box 740123, Atlanta, GA 30374-0123.
- (800) 353-0809; or Experian Consumer Opt Out, 701 Experian Parkway, Allen, TX 75013;
- Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735;
- Telephone Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 9014, Farmingdale, NY 11735.
- Some lists like those maintained by individual businesses, charities, community or political groups may not be affected. Those you'll have to contact individually.
Today's career advice: If you are thinking about changing your career direction, here are three things the new book Career Choice, Change & Challenge . . . by Tony Lee and Deb Koen, suggests you do:
- Analyze your risk-taking history and tackle your internal barriers (procrastination, fear of failure, lack of motivation).
- List the external barriers you anticipate in making a career change, along with your plan for overcoming each.
- Answer this question: If you had a crystal ball and could see that you had three more successful careers in you, what would they be and how/when would you make each happen?
Today's company: Sibcy Cline Inc.
- GROWTH: From one office and 15 agents when it was established in Cincinnati in 1969, the real estate company has grown to 23 Tristate locations and more than 900 sales associates. Last year, RealTrends magazine ranked Sibcy Cline as the nation's 32nd-largest residential real estate company.
- DEALS: Sibcy Cline agents average a buying or selling transaction every 90 minutes. In 2000, the company listed 6,411 homes at an average list price of $183,520. It sold 9,465 homes at an average price of $171,249.
- CLICK TO PICK: The company's Web site www.sibcycline.com averages 105,000 hits a month, and that traffic may increase because the Sibcy Cline Web site now includes all Greater Cincinnati residential listings.
- SMOOTH MOVES: Last year, Sibcy Cline initiated Personal Move Coordinators for its clients, providing home-related products and services before, during and after the move.
Today's career move
Mark Quarry has been named client services manager of Cooper Research Inc. Mr. Quarry will be responsible for developing and maintaining client relationships throughout the health-care industry, with particular emphasis on pharmaceutical manufacturers. He has had sales and sales management positions with SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Ethicon Endo-Surgery and Wyeth Ayerst Laboratories.
Send your tips and questions to Bill Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comair pilots' deal shaky
Kroger to restate earnings
P&G, Whirlpool test appliance
Hill-Rom cuts Indiana jobs
Broughton acquires MYCOM consultants
What's the Buzz?
Intel fights for its share