1. Mike Brown. Wow, the Bengals boss wasn't kidding. He kept the clamps on the purse and got significantly under the salary cap just in time for arguably the greatest NFL free agent class in history. That means he can offer some talented vets more money than anyone else. Let the turnaround begin.
2. Mark McGwire. He's certainly not playing for free an average of $15 million per is a pretty good chunk of change. But he says all the right things and seems genuinely grateful for what he has.
3. Conference tournaments. It's Championship Week, and for hoops junkies, the Ohio Valley Conference title game never looked better.
4. Marty and Joe on Reds radio. Sure, Marty spends half the game worrying about the weather and Nux botches names so badly the players don't recognize 'em. But it sure seemed warmer with the Cold beer here! calls in the background.
5. XU, UC and UK men's basketball teams. Let's face it. We're spoiled. If you can't enjoy this off year then you weren't around for the really bad times.
|| BOTTOM FIVE |
1. Mike Brown. Who are we kidding? You really think he's going to spend, aw, what, $125 million? We'll believe it when we see it.
2. World Cup soccer qualifying tournament. Let's get this straight. The main strategy the U.S. men's team had against Mexico this past week in Columbus was hoping it would be cold? Nice sport.
3. Sports Illustrated cover jinx. Geez. Poor Nomar has an injury before the mailman can get the latest issue in the mailbox.
4. Brian Goldberg. By all accounts, Ken Griffey Jr.'s agent is a heckuva nice guy and an upstanding member of the community. But his hitting the airwaves for spin control every time Junior's involved in some issue or another is getting a little old. Junior's a man. Let him speak for himself.
5. Rod Strickland. He's about all you need to know about the NBA. Wizards give him huge contract, he's basically indifferent on the court, has at least three brushes with the law, and then the team has to pay him several million dollars to leave. Not bad enough? The playoff teams are fighting over him. Nice.