Tuesday, December 19, 2000

Family escapes poison air




By Kristina Goetz
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        ANDERSON TOWNSHIP — A family of five wound up semiconscious after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide Monday morning.

        Kevin Kelley, 36, of the 1600 block of Beechshire Drive, said he heard his carbon monoxide detector go off, then hurried to get his three children out of bed and ready to leave the house. He called 911, but when paramedics arrived, Mr. Kelley; his wife, Kerry; and their three children were in various stages of incapacitation.

        “We got a call for a family not feeling well,” said Lt. Fred Buop of Anderson Township Fire and Rescue.

        “When we got there, three family members were in the doorway.”

        All five were taken to University Hospital, where they were treated at the Center for Hyperbaric Medicine. They were placed in an airtight chamber and exposed to a pressurized atmosphere filled with 100 percent oxygen, which increases oxygen levels.

        They were later released.

        “All five of us are fine,” Mr. Kelley said Monday night. “We're very fortunate.”

        Investigators say the carbon monoxide reading at the home was 300 parts per million. Lt. Buop said Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidelines are a maximum 50 parts per million in an eight-hour period.

        “We prefer zero, of course.” Lt. Buop said. “That's ideal.”

        The Kelley family planned to spend Monday night with relatives and have their furnace — the suspected problem — replaced today

        “My wife worked very quickly to get the kids out the door,” Mr. Kelley said. “The people from the fire department were great.”
       

WHAT IT IS

               Carbon monoxide is a gaseous toxin produced from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Poisoning can occur from exposure to coal, oil, wood and gas stoves and ovens; kerosene or propane heaters; automobiles; construction tools; gasoline generators; or fire.

        Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are:

        • Persistent flu-like symptoms such as headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and drowsiness.

        • Prolonged poisoning can lead to confusion, fainting, convulsions and death.

        Source: University Hospital's Center for Hyperbaric Medicine

       



Salvation Army gets $190,000 windfall
- Family escapes poison air
Many schools' report cards improve
Tristate lagging in rates for diplomas
White Christmas predicted
City's claims bill: $3.2M over 2 years
Judge warns both Comair and pilots
PULFER: Keep those calls and e-mails coming
Snow plows balance need, demand
Thieves steal gifts from Taylor Mill church
Charter schools draw from 4 areas
Ky. Republicans jubilant after electoral vote
Ohio electors true to Bush
CROWLEY: What-ifs will follow Gore
Hamilton raises utility gas rate
Judge denies slaying suspect access to file
Police say suspect confessed to killing
Smoking ban urged for Butler County prisoners
Airport board seeks more land
Covington limits superintendent hunt
Drug unit piles up pledges
Help for pregnant teens
Initiative seeks funds for schools
Man accused in five purse thefts
Man charged in pit bull attack
Bank robbers sent to prison
Clues sought in Richwood slaying
Kentucky Digest
Local Digest
Mystery persists in 1995 disappearances
Union chief hails new dairies