Sunday, September 03, 2000

Survey: Increase parkland


Respondents urge more trails, water playgrounds

By Lew Moores
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        SPRINGFIELD TWP. — Most of the more than 2,000 people responding to a survey think the Hamilton County Park District is doing a good job in preserving natural resources and providing recreation, and want to see parkland grow larger.

        “We're going to compile all this information together and use it to help us plan for the future,” said Jim Rahtz, communications director for the park district.

        Park district officials were pleased with the number of responses. The 14-question survey was available at all district parks and also included in a Sunday Enquirer in June. The survey was on the back of a postage-paid response form.

        Responses are still trickling in.

        “The people who did respond are very interested in preserving and protecting natural resources,” said Mr. Rahtz. “They also appear to think we are doing a very good job.”

        Those who responded also overwhelmingly favor the park district acquiring more land. The park district, celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, is made up of 16 parks and 13,000 acres.

        More than 71 percent of those who answered the survey rated acquisition of more parkland as a very important mission of the park district, and another 24 percent rat ed it as somewhat important, for a total of 95 percent.

        The only questions that elicited a more overwhelming positive response were those dealing with how well people thought the park district was managed and whether the community receives good value for its tax dollars. Those questions received a favorable response of 99 percent.

        Joy Landry, communications specialist with the park district, said the district received a lot of comments about the additions of water playgrounds to Miami Whitewater Forest in Crosby Township and to Winton Woods in Springfield Township.

        “People really enjoy the "wet' playgrounds,” said Ms. Landry. “Some people specifically requested that we do something at Woodland Mound.”

        She said the park district already has plans under way for a water playground at that park in Anderson Township.

        Mr. Rahtz said many people commented about adding more trails, both paved and unpaved.

        “We're certainly going to look at providing more trails in the future,” he said.

        This was the first time the park district has solicited public response other than the scientific random surveys conducted by the University of Cincinnati Institute of Policy Research.

       



Drivers may help explain why officer, boy died
In lieu of a town square . . .
Maps don't tell where danger lies
Parents aren't always to blame
Funerals
High-stakes state tests raise stress, controversy
Buses' brakes to be inspected
Electronic classroom offers curriculum via the Internet
Luck, chance and modern medicine save man
Riverfront ready to rock
Tower jumper hung up on sport
DEMALINE: Season's quantity matched by quality
More theater, on the road
Theatre season a packed house
University companies lead way to diversity
AK Steel to celebrate 100th year
Artwork the ticket for transit center
ATVs added to township's law-enforcement arsenal
Boat driver charged in girl's drowning
Breath test oft refused
CBS outmaneuvers NBC in TV games
A matter of opinion
Delta's hub at N.Ky. airport targeted in smoking complaint
Kinder, gentler jail of the future?
Marketing firm closes amid state investigation
No wrongful imprisonment
Ohio a battleground state again
Report: Ethics tangled
SAMPLES: Taking prayer to the streets
- Survey: Increase parkland
WILKINSON: Politics
BRONSON: Aarrrgh
CROWLEY: Handicapping political races
DAUGHERTY: Justin is already living with his 'real parents'
Get to it
Pig Parade: Slide of Ham
Tristate A.M. Report