Thursday, November 11, 1999

Ex-police officer pleads guilty

Lessened charges part of plea deal

The Cincinnati Enquirer

        NEWPORT — Retired Fort Thomas Police Detective Sgt. Foy Razor avoided a possible tampering-with-evidence felony conviction by pleading guilty Wednesday to reduced charges in Campbell Circuit Court.

        Mr. Razor's attorney, Mott Plummer, said he worked out a plea agreement to amended charges Wednesday with Assistant Fayette County Commonwealth Attorney Brian Mattone, who handled the case for the state after members of the Campbell Commonwealth Attorney's staff removed themselves because they had worked with Mr. Razor as a police officer.

        The veteran officer pleaded guilty to one count of criminal attempt to tamper with physical evidence, fleeing from or evading police second-degree, and an Alford plea to fourth-degree assault. An Alford plea means the defendant agrees there is probably sufficient evidence to convict but he does not plead guilty.

        Mr. Plummer said all amended charges are Class A misdemeanors. Judge Leonard Kopowski immediately sentenced Mr. Razor to 12 months in jail on each charge, to run concurrently, and then gave him two years probation. He also was fined $500 plus court costs on the attempt-to-tamper charge.

        “Neither Mr. Razor nor I have ever commented on this case, and that will continue to be our position,” Mr. Plummer said. Mr. Razor had originally been charged by Newport police with felony tampering with evidence.

        On Jan. 10, he and his 26-year-old son, Bryan, were involved in an altercation at a bar at Fifth and Monmouth streets in Newport. After being ejected, several people, including the Razors, got into a fight on Fifth Street.

        Witnesses said Bryan Razor got a pistol from his father's car and fired a shot in the air. Foy Razor then took the pistol from his son and placed it in the trunk of his unmarked police car before driving from the scene. He was pulled over a few blocks away by Newport police, who found the gun in the trunk.

        Bryan Razor entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of wanton endangerment in May and received a sentence of two years probation and a $500 fine.

        Mr. Razor, 48, was a 13-year veteran of the Fort Thomas department and previously worked for other police agencies. He resigned shortly after the incident, then retired.


Former student admits bomb threat
Colerain student on house arrest
Medal of Honor winners selfless
List of Medal winners from area since WWI
Peaceful tale in honor of Veterans Day
Shoppers line up online
2% bill appears headed to nowhere
Man dies of injuries from apparent break-in
Millionaire gets 10 years for hit attempt
Neighbor helps guide others out of fire
Plan shuffles 15 schools
Showdown looms for Reading superintendent
'Titanic' drama missing something
State Senate seat is a hot one
Soccer parents not all the same
Bauer comes home today for TV ad
Census wants homeless to count
- Ex-police officer pleads guilty
Falmouth prepares to sue its police chief
Ky. has room to improve schools
Man charged with molestation