Friday, October 08, 1999

TRISTATE DIGEST


Man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run

        A Madisonville man was sentenced to four years in prison Thursday for causing a fatal hit-and-run accident downtown.

        Ricardo Meadows, 20, had faced up to nine years in prison. He was sentenced in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court by Judge Mark Schweikert.

        Prosecutors say Mr. Meadows was the driver of a Chevrolet Celebrity that struck four people Aug. 10 as it sped out of the College Street alley at Sixth Street between Race and Vine streets.

        Nicholas Barbas, a 75-year-old transient, suffered head injuries and died a day later. Three teen-agers also were injured.

        Police say Mr. Meadows drove away after the accident but turned himself in several days later. He pleaded guilty last month to involuntary manslaughter, two counts of aggravated vehicular assault and one count of not stopping after an accident.

        At his sentencing, Mr. Meadows said he was sorry but told the judge bad brakes on the car caused him to lose control.

Store increases reward for robbery information
        COVINGTON — Kimberly's Korner Delicatessen has tripled the reward from $1,000 to $3,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects responsible for Tuesday's robbery and injury of employee Rebecca Wren.

        Ms. Wren, 46, was listed in fair condition at University Hospital Thursday afternoon.

        Police have released a videotape, hoping someone can identify the suspects who robbed the store at Ninth and Main streets. The two are described as black men: one 6 feet tall, about 160 to 180 pounds; the other about 5 feet 8, 200 pounds. The shooter was wearing a mask.

        Police did not give a description of a third man, the driver of the getaway car.

Coroner rules hanging death as suicide
        The Hamilton County Coroner's Office has ruled the death of a 22-year-old man found Sunday near Walnut Hills High School in Evanston a suicide.

        Police found Khalil Tucker of Cedarwood Place after 2 p.m. hanging in a tree in wooded area near the school.

Fine Arts Cinema goes back to mainstream
        As of Friday, the Parkland Fine Arts Cinema in Sayler Park is no more. Owner Bill Bauer confirmed this week that he will return to showing second-run mainstream movies at the 118-year-old theater.

        The announcement comes only two weeks after he launched a revival series meant to kick off the theater's new incarnation as an art house specializing in independent, foreign and classic films. Mr. Bauer said that while the new format did not draw enough business to sustain the theater, he is considering moving eventually to a mix of mainstream and art-house fare.

Cab driver robbed by man with knife
        A cab driver was robbed in Over-The-Rhine late Wednesday by a man who pulled a knife and took $51.

        The robber fled on foot. Newport Yellow Cab driver Johnny Smith, of Newport, was not injured during 10:20 p.m. robbery at 1300 Vine Street.

        It was the third robbery of a cab driver in Cincinnati in less than two weeks.

        Cincinnati police are still looking for a man who robbed a Skyline cab driver of $100 at gunpoint Sunday morning in the 100 block of Justis Street after the driver picked him up at the Crowne Plaza Hotel downtown.

        On Sept. 27, John Arcady, 49, was shot to death inside his cab after an attempted robbery in Winton Terrace. Four suspects in in Mr. Arcady's death have been arrested.

ODOT plans meeting about Ohio 28 project
        MILFORD — The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) will discuss and take comments on an Ohio 28 widening project from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Live Oaks Career Center cafeteria, 5956 Buckwheat Road.

        The project involves widening Ohio 28 to five lanes from about 1.5 miles east of Interstate 275 to just east of the Branch Hill-Guinea Pike intersection.

        Written comments can be sent to: The Ohio Department of Transportation, 505 South Ohio741, Lebanon, Ohio 45036. Attention: Hans R. Jindal, P.E. Comments must be received by Oct. 29. hearing

Trenton council votes for siren system
        TRENTON — City Council voted 6-1 Thursday evening to purchase the first-ever siren warning system for the Butler County city.

        The vote comes after weeks of debate over whether the city should spend more than $24,000 on the purchase and installation of two tornado sirens.

        Mayor Roy Wilham, who voted against the sirens, said the outdoor warning system is too limited and expensive. Mr. Wilham also said almost all of the city's more than 8,000 residents have access to television or weather radio, which are more effective in alerting the community.

        No installation date for the two sirens has been determined, he said.

       



Judge dismisses city's gun lawsuit
Police adopt new rules on shooting at vehicles
call to rescue dog brings charge
Speedway's first test: 155 mph no problem
State leaders: Start preparing early for Y2K
Test season opens for college-bound
Tips on taking the SAT
Familiarity with SAT helps test-takers
Sauerkraut festival gets bigger and tastier
Events may clog county roads
Norwood mayor, police battle
Virtual high school to open in January
GET TO IT
Med student grinds away toward 'someday'
Around-the-world walker still going
Asthma plagues youngest
Council investigates pay imbalance
End in sight for 'Love' and 'Realm'
Head Start workers rally today
Human bones found; officials scour area
Jury to decide accused killer's fate
Motorcycle leads police to tow lot's stolen cars
Sewers ordered for Green Twp. area
Tenants jump and run to safety
Train kills man standing on tracks in Oxford
- TRISTATE DIGEST
Water district extending service 12 miles
Young teacher's work wins $25,000