Tuesday, April 27, 1999

County needs to find $1.6M to cover over-budget cost of riverfront sewers




BY LUCY MAY
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        The riverfront sewer project being built in conjunction with the overhaul of Fort Washington Way and the new Bengals stadium will cost nearly $1.6 million more than expected.

        Part of that increase is because the sewer work has been expanded to protect more homes from flood ing, said Fred Craig, a consultant for the city's massive Fort Washington Way project.

        In addition, bids for the sewer work have come in higher than expected, in part because of the tight labor market created by all the riverfront construction work, said Patrick Karney, director of the Metropolitan Sewer District.

        With the additional expense, the sewer district estimates the river front sewer work will total nearly $9.7 million. But doing the work after Fort Washington Way and the other riverfront development is finished would cost $27 million, Mr. Karney said.

        “Overall, it's a much, much better deal,” he said.

        The riverfront sewer project will reduce the number of sewage overflows into the river from 65 times a year to four, Mr. Craig said. Offi cials view that as especially important with the big crowds expected on the city's reborn central riverfront.

        The project will eliminate so-called “combined sewer overflows” at Sycamore, Main and Vine streets, Mr. Craig said. Those are points where a rush of storm water — or a flooded river — can push sewage into the river or nearby basements.

        The additional funding would help eliminate the Sycamore overflow and help relieve sewers in Mount Adams, giving those homes relief from flooded basements in bad storms, Mr. Craig said.

        The riverfront project got attention earlier this year when a $620,000 sewer pipe had to be dug up and replaced with a larger pipe at a cost of $385,000.

        Officials have described the orig inal pipe as a temporary fix in a complicated project and have rejected the notion that it was a waste of tax dollars.

        Hamilton County Administrator David Krings said he doesn't know yet where the additional $1.6 million for the project would come from. He expects county commissioners will consider the request for additional funding in the next two weeks.

       



Call-up order may be today
Federal grants denied after tornado
Historic charter decision one week away
Eight religious groups in the Tristate extend welcoming hand and help
Issue 4: The good and the bad
Questions and answers on Issue 4
Tristate traveler: Littleton 'broken'
City teachers are being laid off
Deaths called murder, suicide
Drug attacks brain tumors
Extras for highway may cost
Lawmakers urging thorough investigation of UC research
Lawyer: Were reports true?
Open-meetings issue hot topic for Lebanon
Placing blame for massacre in Colorado
Spurned woman kills self, ex-lover
Hofbrauhaus deal brewing
Chernobyl virus not a problem locally
- County needs to find $1.6M to cover over-budget cost of riverfront sewers
Driver admits 2nd DUI-related death
Fernald waste heads to Utah
Half-dozen books cover other bases
Man disappears in Great Miami River
Partial skull uncovered in wildlife area
Vevay's stock in history
Was 1998 baseball's greatest season?
500 pick up school vouchers
FBI investigating threatening e-mail
Kehoe's jailmates from Lebanon can testify in Ark. trial
Lebanon aims to get noticed
Many touched by angels, writer says
Miami U Hamilton showcases fine arts
Mother no help in rape cases
Norwood's safety chief starts work
Tables turned on do-gooders
TRISTATE DIGEST
GET TO IT