Friday, January 22, 1999

Family's dream house became nightmare


Mother tells forum: 'Our children are sick'

BY BEN L. KAUFMAN
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        The horrors of lead poisoning came home to Jaime and Liz Nunez after they bought their century-old $79,000 “dream house” on South Wayne Avenue in Lockland.

        Within weeks, a hellish descent into anxiety and financial straits began.

        “Our children are sick,” Mrs. Nunez told an environmental health forum Wednesday at the Museum Center.

        In mid-1997, a pediatrician doing a routine checkup found five times the allowable maximum level of lead in the blood of 9-month-old Caleb.

        Like amounts were found in the blood of his 22-month-old brother, Jacob.

        Both boys spent a week in Children's Hospital Medical Center and have had repeated outpatient treatments as lead leached from their bones into their bloodstreams.

        The family moved into a hotel but learned a licensed lead-removal contractor wanted $40,000 to cure the problem.

        Instead, they tried to remove the lead paint themselves, straining their finances and marriage, Mrs. Nunez said.

        Overwhelmed by the task, they sold the house, complying with the federal rules about revealing lead problems, attorney Jeffrey S. Goldenberg said.

        The family now lives in Hartwell.

        Caleb may have come through unscathed, Mrs. Nunez said, “but my 3-year-old falls down a lot” and his speech is retarded.

        Both boys will require continued monitoring and possibly further lead detoxification treatments.

        The family has sued Realtors who handled the sale and the former owner of the house.

        The complaint, filed in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court by Mr. Goldenberg and co-counsel John C. Murdock, says agents and the seller failed to provide the federally mandated lead-hazard information pamphlet before the couple signed the purchase contract.

        The suit says one Realtor was so eager to close the sale that she “knowingly and intentionally skirted the requirements” of the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act.

        The family also sued the maker and seller of the home test kit that they say failed to identify lead problems.

        Mrs. Nunez said she followed directions and the test indicated there was no lead hazard.

       



operators shouldn't get second chance
911 workers want furor behind them
Two black students charged in racial vandalism at Miami
Dad: Leader of student group wasn't brought up that way
Rapist, 15 county's youngest inmate
Budget woes crimp lead paint program
- Family's dream house became nightmare
'79 Chevy helps find direction of America
City OKs $14.6 M addition to budget
LIGHTING UP LIVES
Other Lighthouse Vision Award winners
Lighthouse Vision Award finalists
Drug sweeps net 30 arrests
Drug arrests make difference quickly
Guard allegedly got drugs into LCI
Motorist guilty of assault
Worker dies under concrete slab
Butler Co. computers sore point
City board puts bingo hall plans on 1-month hold
Family, slavery in old Boone
Father denies he hit baby
Flood project clears a hurdle
Ft. Washington Way to close eastbound Saturday
Hands off settlement money, state officials tell feds
Kenwood doctor shares tips on living
Mentor push coming next week
Monroe to charge developers
Mt. Lookout man indicted on child porno charges
Panel decides Williams was not at fault
Police officer indicted on bad-check charge
Police review panel approved
Pope's visit to Mexico, U.S.
Regents question free tuition for foreigners
Riverboat revenues rose 40% in '98
Stakeout of funeral defended
Student envoys eager to learn abroad
TRISTATE DIGEST